icon

new 12 subs possibly or 1new 1old

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I used to be around on here a lot, but have spent some time off recently, however I have always been loving the sounds!
Anyway, I'm back for a bit, and have a few questions, and well, open to suggestions!
I have noticed one of my Kappa Perfect 12.1s acting up, One is solid, other is sketchy, works some, doesn't other times. I am obviously going to take it apart this weekend, and see If it is something I can fix easily, but I don't think it will be that case...
I build an awesome vehicle specific box that I love, sounds great, and If I can not fix the Kappa, I could replace one with the same type? would that be good? Or I could get 2 other types of sub woofers. Here are my parameters.
1.05cu ft per chamber.
I am feeding with a PG Xenon 600.1 600 CEA Cert RMS Watts at 1-4 ohms.
So If any of you guys think another sub will fit my parameters that would work well for me my car and box, let me know!!!!! Otherwise, no complaints with Infinity, could just get a new one (or two if replacing one would be funky.)
A lot of questions I am aware, but any comments on anything will be awesome, I know Ill get them all answered here, you guys are awesome!
Thanks alot
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
kirktcashalini 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
nothing people new 12 subs possibly or 1new 1old -- posted image.
I removed it and when i push in and out the cone there is minor noise, but only half the times, I don't really know what it is... hmmmmm
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
reference10.0 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
besides looking odd I have ran a RF and a kicker comp both 4 ohms in the same box before and they sounded fine just looked a little ghetto :)
kirktcashalini 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hah, no i would never run two different subs under the same power.
I just wonder if one new one, and one two year old same one would sound ok...
However I am having an impossible time finding them, may be time for me to upgrade / build something new.
reference10.0 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2007 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

im  sure they would if you can find one. I replaced the kicker comp in the ghetto setup I was reffering to around a year later with another RF12 so i had a matched pair and it sounded the same as the one that was a year old. That is as far as I can remember it sounded fine I sold them to a friend and they never thought there was a difference in sound between the 2.

zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem with one of my perfect 12.1's.  The cone came unglued from the VC former and by doing this the electrical contact between them came loose.  It worked for a while but as soon as it loosened up more the cone would slide on the former and the the contact was no more resulting in a useless sub.  Sounds like maybe the same problem.  I think i might've been able to reglue it if i woud've tried right away so it might be worth a try.  Hope i used the right terminologynew 12 subs possibly or 1new 1old -- posted image.

kirktcashalini 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, It is what I am experiencing. The sub will work when pressure is applied to the cone, or when there is enough music to maintain movement, however, soon as there becomes no more music, at rest, the cone is out too far and there is a loss of current going through :-/.
Im already on the fiberglass drawing board, but I am not sure whether I want to get into a FG box or not haha.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
You could have the woofer re-coned, but with the way prices are dropping as the Chinese take over the loudspeaker industry, you may find it's more expensive than simply buying a new one.
Support the12volt.com
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah for sure, those infinitys are going so cheap these days.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic