phoenix gold x max or Eclipse Aluminum?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NWC_nickatina 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2003 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hey..

I was wondering if anyone knows from personal experience which sub would be the better.. of the two (phoenix gold X max or Eclipse aluminum SVC)the eclipse have fairly big magnets..I'm looking for a pair in 12" size ..which will go in a ported enclosure. I wil be powering them with kicker zr600 most likely..any info on this will be greatly appreciated ..thanks

Adrian
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
nice amp.
remember magnet size doesn't really mean much by itself. a magnet being too large will over-damp the driver, so it's a matter of matching the magnet to the speaker's design.
Listen to both subs and see which you prefer. It's subjective. Both are well made drivers, so I won't tell you either of them is poorly made.
I'm not sure what your budget range is, but the JL Audio 12W6v2 is a very good sub as well and worth a listen.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
I personally would go with the Eclipses...they are more cosmetically appealing to me personally, and I think they are a wee bit cleaner sounding, and may hit a little lower too...
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  

Magnet size doesn't mean much cuz they use different kinds of magnets (neodymium, strontium, barium, ferrite, etc.) that have different densities and efficiencies, so a 200 Oz. ferrite magnet is not necessarily more powerful than a 150 oz. neodymium magnet.  Also complicating things is that some companies use the weight of the magnet, and others use the weight of the entire magnet structure.

As for which brand of subs is better, I'd honestly have to say it's quite a tossup and really the only way you can decide for sure is to listen to them both.  But I agree with GlassWolf--you should definitely look in to JLs if your budget permits it cuz I would recommend those over Eclipse or Phoenix Gold any day.

NWC_nickatina 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help..my problem is ...I live in vancouver..(Canada)..the brands and options..are not as great as in the US...ive checked out a&b sound (place that carries JL)..they either have the jl w0's which they want 220 for each heh..quite pricy for w0's id say..and then the JL w7 which goes for almost 2G's but they dont have anything between those two series's...but i came across a store that sells the eclipse and phoenix gold subs for fairly good prices thats why i was wondering which would be the better of the two..

Adrian
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

Best bet would be for you to go to this store and listen to each of the subs (if possible).  They are both good subs so it's hard to pick between the two.  If you can't listen to them in the store then go with the one that best matches the manufacturer's recommended box volumes.  If you already have the box but don't know the internal volume then you can figure this out using the volume calculators on the left side of the page, under "Car Audio".

I checked each manufacturer's web site briefly and it appears they recommend a "small sealed enclosure" for the eclipse (though I'm sure you can still use a ported box), whereas for the phoenix gold they say it can be used with either type of enclosure.  I couldn't find the exact internal volume recommendations for either one so you'll probably have to calculate that yourself using the available specs.  You should be able to use the volume calculator here on 12volt.com to figure this out.

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
where in Vancouver are you?
Im in Langley, and could give you some suggestions...
what store are you talking about that carries Eclipse and Phoenix? Houle Motorsports?
let me know and I may be able to get you deals in different stores and on different products...Kicker CompVRs are a decent sub with a decent price too, if you are entertaining ideas in that price range...
ViperATC5 
Copper - Posts: 202
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
personally i stay away from aluminum subs as I find they tend to sound "tinny" - dont get me wrong, they hit hard and all but I just dont like the overall sound quality they produce. Thats just my personal opinion though, and as stated above the best thing to do is go and listen to see which ones that you prefer
bigmikeww 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
why don't you look at prices on the internet there are a lot of sites that have good quality products for good prices. and I think that most will ship to Vancouver?
NWC_nickatina 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

I'm from New westminster/...yea ive checked lots online..a lot of sites refuse to ship to canada..the store i found that sells the phoenix gold and eclipse was at speaker city (just found out about it the other day)...Ive heard the inhuman x1's are pretty good too..but ive seen them nowhere around here..

Adrian
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic