icon

type x vent

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s_abercromby 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
hey i'm building a custom center console with a sub box attatched to it for my truck, i have an alpine 10" type x and want a vented box, on their website (www.alpine.com) and manual they show what internal volume and vent length and volume should be, the only thing is that my box doesn't have a side that i can put an 11x1" vent, i want to put a 15x1" vent, i tried using the port length calculator on this website, but i don't know if it works the same for a rectangular vent because it is for a circular port. i've also read that a bigger area port requires more length for the same effect. if this is true than why wouldn't people just put a 1" port so that the box can be a lot smaller and so can the length of the port.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

The reason is "port noise" by using vent openings that are too small or too oddly mishaped.

Vent opening size ratio should be 8:1 or less.   For example, 16" x 2" or 12" x 1.5".  That's maximum.  More square is better.

If the website gives you dimensions for a 11 X 1 vent and you want to change the long side to 15", you have to...

Obviously they are not following the 8:1 ratio rule when they give you build plans using a 11 X 1 slot opening.  But, nevertheless, from that you know that they intend that the slot opening area should be 11 square inches in order to correspond to the vent length that they specified.

(As an aside, if you have room for a 15 X 1 slot, you also have room for an 11 X 1 slot)...........

So we look at rule #1 and see that an 8:1 ratio or less should be attained.  11 X 1 doesn't make it and neither does 15 X 1.

To make your port the length that is specified, find a length to width ratio that is acceptable and that also equals 11 square inches.  As long as the opening size in square inches is the same as the specification, the length of that  port remains the same as specified.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
s_abercromby 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
i don't understand why they would tell you to build a box that isn't right. i mean, they should know their subwoofer the best right.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
at port tuning frequency almost all of the sound comes from the port
s_abercromby 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
so should i have the port facing somewhere open, cuz i was gunna port it under the seat but have the sub facing up
s_abercromby 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
this is what i don't understand, alpine probably puts tons of money into the production and testing of their products. I mean i know people say they are sort of like nike where they have lots of money because the name is so big that everyone buys it. but you would think that with that money they would be paying some pretty smart engineers to build and test their woofers, with some very complex equations. And judging by their budget on their showcars, they probably tested millions of different shaped and ported boxes to find the one that would make their product sound it's absolute best so me, as the consumer would buy it. please somebody correct me if i'm wrong, i just wanna get started on building this thing, it bothers me to have it sitting here hahahha, but i do want to do this right. thanx
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
show cars and competition cars are a lot different
s_abercromby 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
yes i realize that, what i meant was the company has a lot of money to build those cars, i think it is two guys who build it and have a huge budget, so think of the budget for testing boxes to make their subwoofer sound the best for their consumers. at least if it was me who owned a huge money making business like that, i would probably tell people how to construct a box that would make their sub sound the best.
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

I am sorry in advance for everyone taking this the wrong way...(two weeks vacation in hawaii, then I had to come back to work)

You obviously don't visit the real world all that often. People that run huge money making businesses do not do it for the customer. They do it for the huge money. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your views on the subject, but I can't think of a large corporation that the owner has done anything to show me that they care about the money less than the customer. I get stuff in the mail all the time from various companies that say "because you are a valued customer" and then go on to tell me about something that I will be spending money on. Any time money is given out it is usually for tax write offs and lawsuit evasion. Most product development is not for making stuff last longer or sound better, it is for a subtle change, sometimes cosmetic that makes this years model a "must have" so you go out and spend more money to replace a perfectly good unit.  The manual was not written by an engineer, it was problably typed by a malaysian sweat shop worker that does not have a car much less a stereo to put in a car, and probably does not speak english. The only 8:1 ratio that they know is they work 8 hours and get 1 dollar. It very well could be a misprint.

What do I know. I am a sucker for new gum brands and flavors.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sound is one of those very subjective things. Look at how many speaker manufactures there are. Each one has designers and engineers that do nothing but make products. ABC Corp. intro's there top of the line coax. All involved, agreed this was the best they could do. As a consumer my tastes says they sound like ass. So I audition another speaker and love them. Was it ABC's bad or just my tastes were different?
For instance Alpine built a speaker that met price point X, Box size X, and Size X. The numbers say use a ported box, tune to this frequency and enjoy. Now my vehicle is a pickup with four doors, their test box fit in a hatchback. I listen to Speed Metal and Alpine used Classical... where I'm going with this is nothing is set in stone when dealing with something that is very subjective in a varied environment!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic