icon

remote turn on wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggresivedriver 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
Im hooking up a pair of subs to my stock radio, so i have a loc and all that jazz. I just wanted to test the amp to make sure it powered on before i wired the remote turn on wire, so i hooked up 12+ on amp to pos. battery terminal, and i ran a wire out of the amp to a ground in the car. I thought this would make the amp power lights come on but no matter what I did (put the keys in, put it in acc., started the car) the amp would not turn on.
Now it was my understanding the remote turn on wire is used so the amp turns on when it gets a 12v signal, but i thought as long as the amp is getting power and is grounded it would still turn on? Am i wrong, or am i right and somethings either wrong with my wires or my amp?
Any help to that question would be great, thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2007 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
The amp needs 3 things to turn on.  12 volts on the power connection.  Ground on the ground connection, and 12 volts on the turn on wire.  For testing purposes, connect a short wire to the remote connection and touch it to the battery connection.  The amp should come on.  Remove the wire from the battery wire and it will turn off.
CapSS92 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  
Gotta have the remote wire connected or it's never gonna turn on. Think of it as the ignition switch in your car. Sure the battery is hooked up but until you turn the key...
ovrkil 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2007 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
So where would you hook up the remote turn on lead from the amp to?
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2007 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on the car. Some stock systems have a remote turn on for factory amps, or a power antenna wire that is on no matter what source is playing. If there is nothing like that, then the accy wire that triggers the factory radio to come on is a common choice.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic