icon

inverter ground cable must it go direct

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gt40mech 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing a 1000 watt inverter in an '07 Dodge Sprinter. How critical is it that the negative cable goes directly to the battery? I've run the positive cable to the battery and there is no more space for the neg. cable. (the battery is under the drivers feet) The inverter will be used mainly for powering laptops and other small wattage equipment, with an occasional use for a small microwave or fridge. Will this overload the vehicle ground cable or cause weird problems with the vehicles electronics? It does have two batteries, but the aux battery is in the engine compartment and I hate to run a 10 foot cable to it. I told the customer that he really needs a separate battery just for the inverter but he's not going for that.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This is all new to me.

Thanks

Bmnicolosi 
Copper - Posts: 173
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2007 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
just ground it like you would an amp
If you say "I already know how", don't ask me a single question.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
My work installs these inverters for progressive insurance response vehicles that use similar inverters of about 1000w. We wire it directly to battery for positive and negative connections. That way you don't have to wonder if the ground you chose was good enough to supply the right amount of amperage. It also gets a 150 amp fuse. It is kinda a pain to run both but in the long run, it will be getting the full battery current.
throwing_copper 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
We install 1750 - 3000 Watt inverters at work in oilfield pickups. We use a bolt through the floor, with paint removed on both sides. We've never had a ground problem. If you do install this way, though, you should beef up your vehicle ground ie. run a large gauge cable from neg at battery to vehicle ground.
gt40mech 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks everyone.

I ran a #4 cable to battery negative ( pos is #2 ) and also a #4 to chassis ground. I was able to cram the #4 in the channel that all the other cables are in. Hopefuly  this will be sufficient and not overload the vehicle ground cable. Also I started with a 125 amp fuse just to be safe.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic