two different setups

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
extacy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hello folks.

Again im coming here for opinions of people who have used different subwoofers. Thanks for all the help in advance :)

There are two setups that I need help in.

First I got only 150 watt rms *:(* and need to setup a nice sounding subwoofer. Ive narrowed the choice down to a JL W1v2 12" and a Kicker Comp 12" ... both in ported boxes. Which one would be 'louder' ? Would any other subwoofer be a better option with so little wattage available.

Next up ... I have this friend who asks for something that should be kinda loud but SQ is a must here. Around 4-5 cuft of space available. A 2 channel bridgeable amplifier giving 1060watt RMS @ 2ohms and 660watt RMS @4ohms mono (bridged)

What would be a good combination ? Would 3 Alpine Type-S 10"s be good in compact sealed box ? Or any other subwoofers ? Or would the result be better with 2 15"s ?

Any old links or some comparisions would be lovely!

Thankyou all :)

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
As far as your first question, there will be no comparison between the two drivers you have listed. The Kicker will LIKELY be louder, but the JL will sound FAR better. There's my opinion - loud vs SQ. Now you run with that ball...
One single JL W7 with that much power would rattle your teeth, sound good, AND still leave trunk space. Only being superficially familiar with the JL stuff, other, more experienced with the W7 will be better equipped to provide you with model differences.
BTW, Bob? Did you ever upload... NM, they're on MY camera! LOL I will upload tonight some pictures of the new W7 8" woofer that I took at Bob's shop last time I was there.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
extacy 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2007 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

Ahhh yess ... I think I should have mentioned the fact that a JL W7 is sooo out of the budget :(

Having very different prices here ... im estimating a can get two CV Vmax 15"s ... 3 Type-S Alpine 10"s ... and there was this used CV Stroker lying around at the shop too. Should I fancy the stroker or go with dual Vmax 15"s ?

I just read the 'Single VC on DVC sub ' thread... would this be helpful in regards to the first query ??? As in I can rig up a better subwoofer to the same amplifier ? A 12" CVR or a W3 ? Or any other you would recommend ? We dont get much brands here ... Polk Audio, RF, JBL, JL Audio, Fusion, Kicker, Kole Audio, Alpine ... id be inclined towards SQ ... as a ported box would give enough "loudness" for me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic