icon

tuning a system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cavaride101 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, i have 2 twelve inch mtx subs... the 4500 series with the matching thunder series amp. i'm having a really hard time tuning in my system. not only do i have the gain, bass boost, an a couple other knobs on the amp but i also have the sub output and low, med, and high settings in my head unit. Can anyone give me an idea where to start adjustin all of this. do i set all the low, med, and high to zero then adjust the gain an all that or what?

i'm tryin to get the best out of this little system an i need help makin it sound good

cavaride101 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone know how?
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
well, it's really about what you like to hear..
the way I set my personal ride is to put in a good sounding Jazz disc (pick whatever music you listen to most) and I then turn down all the levels on my head unit.
My amps all sit at about 70%, so I don't cook anything. The sub amp is just for lows, while my 4 channel is set in full range mode. As far as the bass boost and such, It's something I tend to play with after levels are set, if I feel I need a small boost in bass...
Start playing your music, and work the levels up till it sounds good to you. I like to start in the 800- 1kHz range, then move up, then fill in the lows after the high are mixed well.
Really, it's a matter of tinkering, there's not really a right or wrong way to do it... just get it sounding the way you want to
As far as your amp levels go though, you've gotta know what your subs can handle, versus output on the amp, then make sure not to set the amp so that it can deliver more than your speakers can handle.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
cavaride101 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok.. i,ve been doin that. i've installed a few systems an for some reason i can't get this one right. sometimes it'll soung great an others (on the same song) not so great. then when i roll up the windows it sounds horrible.
jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
define not sounding great... too much of a level (high or low), sounds full of other noises besides the music, things like that...
I will never tune a stereo the first time with the windows down... too many sounds waves coming back at various times... however, if you have the ability to save multiple custom eq's, tuning one with the windows down, and less bass is always a good idea, so as to not blow your gear.
and list the rest of the equipment you have as well
Greed is for amateurs.
cavaride101 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
well... it sounds like a speaker is vibrating. i'm thinking the rear driver side. but like i said, sometimes it will sound great... others not. playing the same song can differ alot but it's the same song jus soundin differently each time
jazzcustom131 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2007 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a speaker vibrating... strange, I thought that's what they were suppose to do... LOL, J/K...
in all seriousness, I'll have to be honest... I can't say I've ever had a system that I could play the same song over and over again, without doing anything, and it sounding different every time...
anyone else have anything for him? I think I'm on the rocks right now...
Greed is for amateurs.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic