icon

valet 712t, relay for parking lights?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fsc137 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
I am going to install a Valet 712T and have Type C door locks so really like the on-board relay feature.
I also want to hook up the Parking Light Output feature but am not sure if I need a relay or not. Some info I have seen states there is an on-board relay for the Parking Light output. Although the install manual doesn't specifically mention this, it does say the Parking Light output provides a "high current output +/-" to flash the parking lights. It doesn't specify a current rating like most of the outputs so am not sure on this one.
I just want to make sure I have all the extra parts I need before I start the install.
Thanks.
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I also installed the 712T not too long ago.
First of all: do your headlights switch to ground or positive? Secondly, are your parking lights connected to one circuit, or are the left and right-hand circuits independent from one another?
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

Post your year make and model for quicker responces.

fsc137 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

Post your year make and model for quicker responces.

My make and model doesn't in any way determine whether the 712T has an on board relay for parking lights or whether the output is high current.
fsc137 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
frans-c wrote:
I also installed the 712T not too long ago.
First of all: do your headlights switch to ground or positive? Secondly, are your parking lights connected to one circuit, or are the left and right-hand circuits independent from one another?
Headlights and parking lights are at ground and 12 volts is applied to them through the switch. Not sure what difference this makes (other then the +/- jumper needing to be set) as the current draw would be the same. I am not concerned with the headlights though, only the parking lights.
The parking lights are connected to one circuit. From the manual it appears it is a high current output that would not require a relay. It's just odd they seemed to specify the current capability of most of the other outputs but not this one. What is their definition of "high current"?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2007 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
Make and model IS relevant because of the way your parking lights are initially switched. I can think of 3 different systems straight off!
fsc137 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Make and model IS relevant because of the way your parking lights are initially switched. I can think of 3 different systems straight off!

No, make and model actually it isn't relevant for the question I am asking.  My question is about the current rating on the Valet 712T for the parking light output.

My parking lights are grounded. 12VDC is applied through the headlight switch to turn the parking lamps on. There is no relay control. I am simply asking if the output for the parking lights on the Valet 712T is controlled by an on- board relay, or is rated at a high enough current output to drive the lights directly.

The manual says "Hi Current" output so I am assuming it does. It would have been nice if they had mentioned what the actual max current rating is like they do for the other outputs.  That's what I am not sure about which is why I asked the question. If my car had a relay controlling the lamps, I wouldn't be asking the question as the output would, at the least, be sufficient to drive a relay. 

usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hook it up..no problems
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Is there a fuse on the parking light wire?  If so, I would guess that the relay would be capable of providing at least that amount of current before the contacts burn up.

Kevin Pierson
hydrodancer91 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
well since he doesnt want to say what the make and model of his car is here goes. as stated before there is a jumper to switch from + or - it is shipped from dei in the default + setting. now with your parking lights going from ground to 12volts when you turn it on were all assuming you have a standard 12volt light system so you simply hook up the parking light wire. knowing the year make and model IS relevant for the fact of if you need to relay isolate it or if it needs resistors, diodes etc. so good luck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic