icon

4 ch amp what so you think?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Esco1977 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

ok after reading the post about choosing an amp, i think i have narowed it down to these ones.That bieng said im open to other sugestions. I have read the posts about s/n ratios and fuse sizes, and i think i mabe some good choices. Anyway the setup will be 2 sets of 6.5 q series mb quarts 4 ohm in custom fiberglass panles, one set in the doors and another set in the rear. i need something i can run at 4 ohms ... so it will run cool and less stress ... so it will last. also i would like to have a nice clean sound. so, a high quality amp should deliver clean power to the speakers... (as long as it is set up correctly right?)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dls-ultimate-a4-p-5111.html?cadid=22eceb8b755defa9645b2ecbf97a38b0

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers/se_4200.htm

http://cgi./dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250172752689&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

i know this is kinda long... i just wanted to know ur guys input ... thanks

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Now we're talking! Of the two you have listed, I would go with the Arc ( the ebay link doesn't work). The Arc is an over built, great sounding amp. It has plenty of power, more so than listed, but I am sure the DLS does too. I have a few install experiences with these, they all have all the features you would ever want and need.
If you want a brit amp, I'd be looking at Genesis. Peter Lufrano is the distributor here in the US. I have worked with the Genesis amps first hand as well, and I am always impressed with them. Link to Genesis
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
The Arc 4200 SE is an incredible amp. Did an A/B with a Zapco C2k-4.0 and was very happy with the results. Also the 2300 SE is a powerhouse. Very cool stuff.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
audiocableguy wrote:
The Arc 4200 SE is an incredible amp. Did an A/B with a Zapco C2k-4.0 and was very happy with the results. Also the 2300 SE is a powerhouse. Very cool stuff.
Robert Zeff did say these were the best amps he ever designed! I don't
disagree.
What sort of testing did you do?
Esco1977 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
oh... the other amp was a helix esprit h400
Esco1977 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
im really not stuck on any amp..... its just after all the reading i have done all day... im off today.... i thought those ones would be some good choices.... i just want something that i will still have 5 yrs later...... like remember how good the old ppi art amps were back in the day.. i still have my old a600 :-)
dwarren 
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I understand, I too had a few art series, the 300 in black with a 12w1. Great little amps, just lacked any on-board processing.
The Esprit is helix's mid level line, which is Brax's little brother brand. I would certainly stick with the Arc or Genesis.
I deal with the Arc staff all the time, they are always helpful and knowledgeable. The Arc gear is bullet proof, with fantastic customer support.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
THANK YOU, first of all, for reading and heeding my suggestions! I spnt a long time writing that "How-to". (Dave has warm fuzzy feelings, finally)
I LOVE the Arc Audio stuff. VERY clean, if (a bit) expensive. You can't go wrong with that choice, (and because of Dan's trusted chime, I'll add this...) either of them, really... I don't know the DLS personally, but if it's good enough for Dan, it's good enough for pretty much anybody!!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Esco1977 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
thank you guys....i just wanted to make sure there wasent anything else i might have missed
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Testing, very non-scientific. Four people in my listen room. Listen to Zapco C2K-4.0, Arc 4200SE, Hifonics Olympus (series 7)and my Linear Power 4750IQ.
Battery, Astron Power supply, Counterpoint Pre, custom speaker switcher and a pair of KEF 104/7.
All were tested in 2 ch. mode.
Usual listen stuff Dianna Krall, Tracy Chapman, Peter Gabriel etc.
The Linear was the favorite, the Olympus had a solid low/midbass, not as detailed on the highs. The Arc and the Zapco did everything well. The Linear just had a bit more warmth.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic