icon

port facing same way as sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2007 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
i'm just curious but i've seen multiple pictures of people running their port up through the back dash.
i posted on here a while ago asking if thats cool and most people said you need to face the port the same way the sub is facing.
if this is true then why do all these people do it and its fine. i just want to know before i build my box.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
JRoscoe 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

Either will work.  Its better if the prt faces the same way as the subs but if dealing with a car that has no seats to turn down, or like my mercedes with a gas tank in between the rear seats and the trunk then porting thru the rear deck will work also!  I currently have my port facing the same way as the subs into the trunk

port facing same way as sub -- posted image.

But will be redoing it up thru the rear deck with the subs firing into the trunk the same as they are now.  The only way you dont want to do it is the opposite way of the subs.

mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks man...and nice setup :)
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
alpinewil81 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmmm.... I WOULD NOT say NOT to go the opposite direction of the subs. If you go the opposite way of the subs, you must have a baffle between both air movements or you get a minor cancellation effect. If you are using a port, you aren't directing or diverting air flow to or away from a sub. What you are doing is channeling the resonant sound that is created from the sub. Yes you here air movement from a port, however, install some quilt matting on at least 3 sides and then all you're goint to get from a port is sound. You can install a port any direction in relation to the subs, just not directly be hind it. You can modify port lengths and offset the ports to the side of the sub and be just fine if you calculate properly. Here are a couple of pics of what I and some fellow installers have done in a couple of instances:

Here is my most recent project my own personal SAAB. Two MA Audio HK80 8" subs with a Clif Designs amp (that's the amp rack you can see floating in front of the subs). Guess which way the ports are facing... right towards the drop down arm rest with trunk access in the back seat. Sounds great, why? beacause I built a trim piece that is flush on four sides and acts like a baffe to seperate air movement from sound. I could have went strait up with the ports but chose not to.

Here's another car that was done by some guys I know that build demo cars for Alpine Electronics out of SLC Utah. I was just there to visit the finished project. There are 3 tens... and quess what, drop the seats and you will find 3 ports firing directly into the rear seats themselves. This car thumps. If the pros that build demo cars don't know what they're doing then we are all screwed!!!

Besides, if you port a box and don't like it, you can plug the ports. They do make port plugs that are a rubber diaphragms that expands to close the ports and they are also removable. Some people use pipe plugs from Home Depot... same thing and readily available if you size your ports right. Yes, I know, ported boxes require more air space than sealed. If the box is built well and doesn't leak with a sealed port, a little extra air space (definitely be careful not to much) will help the reproduction of sound. The reason sealed boxes use less air space is to control the cone of the sub from over excurting under heavy loads. When the air can't move neither can the cone. Hence the reason sealed boxes require more power. To much air and you have a sloppy response and are more likely to trash your sub... Anyway, I hope this helps you out. Good luck with your box building!!!

Once an installer... always an installer. It's love, not habbit.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
in a trunk car when facing the subs into the cabin and porting to the side or rear...you are then turning the trunk into a resonant cavity.
If done right this can make for some good gains...gotta mess with the tuning though because you can get some big peaks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:
in a trunk car when facing the subs into the cabin and porting to the side or rear...you are then turning the trunk into a resonant cavity.
If done right this can make for some good gains...gotta mess with the tuning though because you can get some big peaks.

Exactly.  It turns the trunk into a leaky 4th order bandpass system.  A terrible design for the average DIY guy as it is highly unlikely to be properly designed.  A pro might be more likely to pull it off and make it sound halfway decent.  Most people who talk about "porting into the car" really do not understand what they are doing and think it will simply make the system louder.  Usually it doesn't accomplish anything except make a decent sub sound like ass.

Support the12volt.com
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
those rf's need more port area for sure...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic