icon

building a sound quality system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
9 t gsx 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2007 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
I know that you have to hear speakers to see if they sound good to you,I'm just looking for some names of products that would fit for this type of system build.Right now i have a kicker impulse 1252x2 and 425x4,I believe,its been awhile since I looked at em.A pair of boston pro 6.5 components, 2 kicker 10" subs in a ported box, just sitting in the room needing to be used. Should i use what i have currently, as they are old,or just start over? I know i cant use the box as it was in a 92 maxima and this system is for a 90 eclipse,I'm thinking 1) 10" sub should do anyway.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  

its all about what sounds good to you. unless you plan on competeing. if you like how it sounded in your old vehicle, then, try and fit it in the new one. if not just surf through this board and we have discussions about this on a weekly sometime daily basis.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2007 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
IMO none of that is remotely SQ gear. That is my opinion. I'd start fresh!
1: How much do you want to spend?
2: Are you particular to any brand?
3: How fanatical do you want to get?
4: REALLY sound quality? No BS?
I am asking, because I think we can get you wherever you want to go, but we have to know where to reign in.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2007 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I am asking, because I think we can get you wherever you want to go, but we have to know where to reign in.

To add to this, have you heard any really good sounding car systems? But mainly, how much do you want to spend?!

I think the BostonPros are alright. If you put a nice amp on them, Kicker excluded, you can probably be satisfied with them.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
9 t gsx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

haemphyst wrote:

I was thinking in the range of 1500 to 2000.00

No not really, I do like how the bostons sound i like the soft dome tweeter,do like a harsh sounding tweeter.The soft dome reproduces sound better in my ear. 

Not looking to get real crazy as the price willing to spend reflects.About the only crazy thing that is a must is that the sub box must be removable "if that's crazy".

Not real sure what you mean here.To take a guess,I prefer to hear the music and all its little creaks,pops, guitarist finger sliding on the strings,birds chirping LOL etc etc,Over a 3000 watt bass monster that you can hear 12 blocks away. I've already had those kinds of systems,think ive lost a bit of my hearing due to it.    

To add to this, have you heard any really good sounding car systems? 

I've been out of the audio game for quite some time most of the systems ive heard were just bass cars,Yes I have heard some nice sounding cars.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
OK, with that price range, it'll be a bit tougher, but I think it can be done.
Go with either the Eclipse XA-5000 or an Alpine PDX4.100 and a PDX1.600. Both choices will provide VERY nice, real-world power, and are super clean sounding. I am using the PDX's in my car. Both choices are based on the Bang & Olufsen ICEPower modules.
Keep the Bostons, if you remember liking them, but only if you can get the same for the rears. If you don't want rear fill, then you'll be looking into a nice crossover for the front only, and bi-amp/bi-wire the front system. (I'll do a little bit more research for that answer as well)
Your sub, I'd recommend seriously a TCSounds (now Audiopulse) Epic 10. (either one... the PDX amplifiers make the same power into either 2 or 4 ohms) With 600 watts, you'll have plenty of power for both real-world listening levels and decent transient power as well, and it'll all be in a little-bitty box!
If you wanted to shave a few dollars from your amplifier ticket, go with an Alpine PDX2.150 for the front, and use the Boston's included passive crossovers. That'll give you a little more power for transients. Neither of those systems would qualify as a "boom" system, but very good sound quality, for sure.
The 2.150 and 1.600 pair will be right at $1000 MSRP, (most dealers will be a bit below that, I think) leaving 500 to 1000 for subwoofer, headunit, and install accessories.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
9 t gsx 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent information thanks,I looked up the PDX's and the audiopulse 10 and they look like they would be perfect for my car size wise,eclipses dont have alot of room to begin with.

For the headunit i have a alpine CDA-9856 in the car now, but i also have a panasonic flipup/dvd H/U dont know the model number off hand that i was going to use instead of the alpine.What do you think about that.

Was looking at the bostons and some how the wires got ripped off of the tweeters beyond repair so i'll have to get front speakers,What would you recommend.

Im a big believer in quality wiring/RCA'S so i guess ill figure in a good amount just for that stuff. When i had my old system the best out then, was the stinger "KING" Series? been awhile. whats good out now for RCA's etc.

dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I might get flamed for this but RCA cable's really make no difference at all. They are all the same. With that being said as long as you keep them from the power cable, power down one side of the car rca down the other you will be fine. I have used the cheap one's that you get with the amp kit's from Wally world with no problem. That leaves you with more money for stuff that will make a audible difference. And the same goes for speaker wire too. Just run the proper size for the run you need to make. Or if you want to you can spend alot of money for that if it makes you feel better casue you spent $$$ or more on your RCA and wiring.

In fact I knew of several people who would run the cheapest wire & RCA's then would just cap it off with the high dollar stuff  for comps so it looked good for the judges and they did just fine in the comps.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
I would agree with cheaper RCAs except for two things. I've had bad experiences with cheap RCAs that break. I hate taking apart a car twice because of equipment failing. Second it's been discussed many times. Noise does not bleed into RCAs from power wires. Most of the times it comes from the cars ECU or other electronics that the RCAs are near to.
There is no such thing as free installation!
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
building a sound quality system -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic