icon

starter engages but don't crank

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldsmobile94 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 1999 saturn sc, i had a hornet 569t 1 button stater in there but took it out an installed a hornet alarm/stater combo 564t unit. tha alarm works fine but when i go to remote tha car it engages but won't crank all that happens is tha park lights come on an thats it, no cranking at all an i double checked all my wires tha PURPLE / stater side wire is hooked up to tha starter side an tha GREEN/ key side is hooked up to tha key side of tha vehicle. I have tha correct tach wire cuse its programed already. Also tha unit is a 2-way pager with lcd screen remote. all tha other remote start wires are correct i used my ddm when i installed tha 1 button unit a few months ago but this has been buggin me an any help would be greatly appreciated.
tk
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2007 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest making sure the ribbon cable is plugged in firmly. Make sure the purple wire in the ribbon harness is showing ground when it should be cranking. Does it turn the ignition/accessories on 3 times when you try to start it?
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
just a question for you, you say that the tach was already programmed? does this mean that you programed the tach to your new starter?
it definately sounds like either a tach issue or a hood pin issue. there should be a troubelshooting section in the install manual which will tell you what the p light flashes correspond to. remember that the hood pin as to hooked up and the hood closed for the unit to start your car.
also since it is a DEI product does it have voltage sensing? if so you can turn that on and if it starts then you know it was a tach issue.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
actually one other thing which i know has happened to me before was that I had a car which would not crank and I found out that one of the 12v fuses had popped an that was not allowing the car to turn over.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 14, 2007 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Did you by chance install a starter kill with the new alarm?  If so, make sure the remote start starter output is on the OUTPUT side of the starter kill.
Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
check fuses like perty mentioned, also, see if you can erase the memory of the tach and make sure you have not shorted the bottom of your hood pin (could be touching frame) orr try this. connect a digital volt meter one to ground and other to your crank/start relay. remote start your car and see if you have 12 volts comming out of that wire. if ytou dont, the relay is bad and has no continuity.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
´double checking´ your wires is something to be done with a meter or a test light, not by eye.
--Does the starter output have power coming out when you try the remote start?
--Does the thin purple wire show a grounw when you try the remote start?
--If you in any way suspect your tach source, temprorarily try voltage sense.
--Does the car´s ignition power up? All the warning lights on the dash come on? The heater fan?
oldsmobile94 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
yea it does turn tha accessories 3 times an then automaticlly shuts down tha remote start attempt. an no tha purple wire doesn't show ground when it trys to remote start. also i programed tha tach an it learned tha tach wit no problem. and all fuses are good in alarm an starter checked them a number of times an my connections also.
tk

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic