icon

First time install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hondasin 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
Okay please help me out here, I have put in CD players and speakers before but i have never hooked up an amp or an eq.  i am trying to completely install the stereo myself.  I have a deck, an eq, two 6 1/2 two 6x9's one 340 w amp and one 10 sub.  any pages or step by step instructoins would be very helpful.  thank you guys
I know nothing about anything but I'm a good faker
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a site that will get you started.
http://www.crutchfield.com/infocenter/S-ETAOMkIVjNC/car/amplifiers_install.html
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have a Sony amp? Is it five channel capable? If so, you could get away with this, although I wouldnt recommend it with so little power.
Otherwise, you will require at least one more amp dedicated to your sub. If your 340w amp isnt four channel capable, it should at least be 2ohm stable to handle two sets of 4ohm speakers.
Follow the crutchfield install help or anything else you can get your hands on. Installation will depend on how savvy you are with electronics. Allow plenty of time - a couple days if you could spare em. And for goodness sake ASK if youre not sure about something!
hondasin 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2003 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Actually its a Visonik 350 2 channel, i was thining of using this amp as a single sub amp, also another problem i seem to have is my eq has a high and low imput, thing is my low imput is only one set and my player has two sets one for front one for back, and there is only one port for the sub so i have to run one RCA to my sub? confused by that and thanks for the help guys
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2003 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Provide the exact model numbers for all your equipment and Ill tell you what you can or cannot do. And how to hook it up.
hondasin 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2003 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

Visonik

Reciever VCD51

(2) 6 1/2 V62CS (200w max)

(1) 10in  VB110 (300w)

(1) 2 channel amp  V220S (2x75 RMS 2x150 max)

(1) 10 gauge amp kit

SONY

(2) 6x9's XS-V6921 (180w)

VR3

Xtreme 5 band eq VPE500S (seperate sub volume)

hondasin 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
bump
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2003 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

Use the head unit to power the 4 speakers.  Get speaker harnesses so you don't have to cut factory wiring.  Also get a receiver harness so you can just plug in to factory wiring behind the dash.  They should have both of these things at a place like best buy or circuit city, and Crutchfield also sells them.

You can use the EQ but usually you only need those when you have multiple amps that you want to control.  But if you want a dedicated subwoofer volume control it will work as that.  Just use the head unit's rear RCA outputs to connect to the EQ's input.  You said there's only one spot for the sub output?  Did you mean one pair of RCA connections? or just one single plug?  If it's just one single plug you should use the left/white RCA plug, and go to the amp's left channel.  Also set the amp to "mono/Lchannel" if it has a swich like that.   

You probably are gonna need to give the EQ a power, ground, and turn on connection.  To make things easier, just connect these wires to the wiring harness for the head unit.  While you're there, you'll also need to hook up the amplifier's turn on wire, and the amp's RCA cable.  Just plug the cable in to subwoofer output on the EQ as mentioned above, and refer to the labeling on the wiring harness for the correct wires for each function.

The 10gauge power cable goes directly to the battery and then the other end goes the amp.  The ground wire is attatched to the vehicle's body.  You need to find a good grounding point that is bare metal and is close to wherever you're gonna mount the amp.  Use a star washer and a short self-tapping screw, but make sure before you drill anywhere that you're not gonna hit a fuel/brake line or go through the gas tank.  Don't make the ground wires any longer than what they already are.

Since it's a two channel amp but you're only running one sub, you're gonna bridge the amp.  All you do is connect the amp's left positive output to the sub's positive terminal, and the amp's right negative output to the sub's negative terminal.  Usually it will have a line or an arrow connecting whatever two spots you're supposed to use for bridging--if so just follow that.

I highly recommend you check out Crutchfield's info about installing amps, and follow their guidelines (i.e. do it in the order they say). Use my help only for specifics not covered in their guide.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic