icon

desktop computer in a vehicle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jsmobile 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
Many people are coming to me with the question "can a desktop computer be installed in a vehicle?". I could see some of the benefits like 160 gigs of music, dvd playback, gaming and so on. So we tried it. We plug one into a power inverter. We hooked the video card to there flip down monitor and the audio out to an input in the head unit. It worked pretty good but when we tried to play the audio back we could hear a loud buzzing. I think it was coming from the inverter because it didnt have that problem when it was hooked up in the shop. Then when they started the vehicle it fried the cpu. It was a good thing that we used an old junk computer as a test pilot.
So, has anyone been successful in doing this? Any info on this would be much appreciated by many.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
I've got one in my G35, let me see if I can dig up some pics.
Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

OK, here is some info. My car has a fully built motor and twin turbos on it, so my computer is basically for guaging and logging. The AEM wideband I speak off is an oxygen sensor and the UTEC is an engine management system.

This is from the post I made on my350z.com (http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278650):

KPierson from My350Z.com wrote:

I finally worked out all the bugs in my carputer.

I went with something real basic with the sole purpose of it to display and log engine parameters.

The computer connects to my AEM O2 through a serial connection and then it connects to my UTEC engine management through USB. I have software that takes these two readings and merges them. I then output the signal though a video out and convert it to RGB+S which then displays it on my OEM Navi screen. I can toggle back and forth from Navi to Carputer through a custom switch I made that works off of the OEM Enter button.

To control the computer I got a wireless keyboard with built in touch pad:

desktop computer in a vehicle -- posted image.

I also have a network cable installed and can RealVNC in to the carputer from my laptop for log retrievel and tuning. I had initially went with wireless but I had some issues and went with the 'easier' solution.

The carputer itself is a 1ghz machine (Via EPIA) in the Mini-ITX footprint. It has a 40gb laptop harddrive and a M1 automotive power supply (works from 6-24vdc). I went 'cheap' and made my own case, which consists of a piece of plexi-glass cut to fit in my spare tire. It press fits on to the 'start nut' that holds the tire in place, and then I used a few eye bolts to provide stability towards the outside of the 'glass. Its pretty secure, yet comes out easily to access the tire:

Here is what it looks like on the dash:

After I finally got it working right (had some major issues with WinXP the first and second installs) I love it. It boots up in under 30 seconds and has been very stable for the past 2 weeks. I am somewhat concerned of the heat generated, but so far the two cooling fans have done a good job.

Cost -

Bought the motherboard, processor, and 512mb of RAM for $160

Bought the wireless keyboard/mouse for ~$80
Harddive - Free (used one laying around collecting dust)
M1 power supply - $~70
RGB converter - $50
Misc. cables - $15
UTEC engine control - $1100
AEM wideband - $300

I obviously already had the UTEC and AEM, so they don't really count, and I had the RGB converter from a DVD project that never got completed, so all and all I spent <$350 to have continous monitoring of boost, a/f, RPM, timing, IPW, and a few other things with no added guages and now I don't have to carry my laptop with my 24/7.

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
The 'trick' is to use a power supply designed for automotive use.  My powersupply will work down to like 6vdc or something like that, meaning it doesn't lose power while cranking.  Also, ventalation is key.  You want an efficient processor that is just fast enough for your needs.
Kevin Pierson
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
We regularly install Lind power supplies in police vehicles with great success. Also we use Copeland power tamer voltage protection and timer units to save the vehicle battery and protect the computer from over voltage conditions. The whole package usually runs around $200.
R Jackson
Owner/Installer
TRM Emergency Vehicles
Information is advice only and should be confirmed with OEM or quality test equipment.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2007 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ooops...sorry guys I read the post more carefully and realized you said desktop and not laptop. My bad.
But really wth a desktop!?
Why not and external hard drive slaved to a laptop? More gooder I think.
R Jackson
Owner/Installer
TRM Emergency Vehicles
Information is advice only and should be confirmed with OEM or quality test equipment.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
init 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2007 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Laptop hardware isn't easy to work with outside of a laptop case.  You don't need a huge desktop system but something that will allow you to work with changing hardware parts, adding on, etc...  I know many people use the AOpen MiniPC case for this.
I'm not a professional installer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
KPierson 
Posted: October 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

Look at my setup above.

That is a desktop computer, minus the case.

The motherboard is a Mini ITX, about 6"x 6".  I made a mounting platform out of plexi and was able to mount the mb, the hd, and the ps in a relatively small space.  They make mini ITX cases, but I didn't see the point in buying a case, plus I wanted finished product to be as low as possible.

The only advantage I see to running a laptop is the battery will allow you to get away with a cheaper power solution.  You could get a fairly small inverter and run the laptop off of it.

Kevin Pierson
jsmobile 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

Thats a sweet install above. The people I work with dont want to spend the extra dough to go that way. They all seem to have the same idea. They have a desktop and no laptop and they dont want to make huge investment. I would love to build a system like that in my or anybodys ride for that matter.

djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
Check out www.mp3car.com . They could help.
Pure Noize

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic