icon

troubleshooting Viper 500esp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shmoppy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I bought my 92 corvette a couple of years ago and it had a viper 500/550 esp (can't remember which) already installed. I'm having a problem right now with my turn signals and my vette mechanic says he thinks it's caused being by the alarm and won't touch it :( So I'm on my own here and don't know a thing about the alarm. The problem is that my turn signal fuse blows intermittently and at random times. The turn signals will work for a few days (or sometimes only for hours) and then blows. When I arm/disarm my alarm the parking lights flash, I hear a chirp, and the doors lock or unlock. How can I disable or unhook the alarm so that I can see if the problem still occurs? I'd just like to take it out of the picture and see if the fuse still blows. Will disabling it be enough to keep it from interfering with the light circuit or would it be better to physically disconnect it. how would I go about doing that?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Phill McCrank 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

shmoppy

ther alarm has nothing to do with the turn signals.  the alarm is hooked up to the parking lights only, not the turn signals.  if the parking lights flash are working with the switch and the alarm then there is no problem with the alarm.  you can take the alarm out of the picture already.  your problem is somewhere in the turn signal circuit.  is there anything else aftermarket in the car like audio stuff??  it is possible, though, that when the install was done,on the alarm, they cut the insulation of the turn signal wire and now it is touching metal and shorting but its not likely.  if you still want to remove the alarm, find the brain of it and just unplug it. everything will still operate, in the car, like it is supposed to.

p.s.  the 550 has remote start.

Phill Bowen
Lead Installer,
Master of all trades.
shmoppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info Phill! I'm not sure about the parking lights vs. turn signals though. It seems that the alarm operates many of the same lights that the turn signals do. The turn signal switch blinks the following lights: front turn signal lamps, front side marker lamps, rear break lights, rear side marker lamps. When I arm/disarm the alarm, all of those same lights blink + the front white "fog" or parking lights.

Is the "brain" of the alarm the black box the valet switch plugs into?

p.s. It's deffinately a 500esp then cause my car is a standard transmission and has no remote start capability as far as I know. I assume that would be quite tricky to setup with the clutch/neutral switch.

shmoppy 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  

sorry, forgot about your other question. There is no more aftermarket equipment other than the alarm in the car. Everything is factory except the alarm. I'm suspecting a short or bad ground somewhere in the turn signal circuit or alarm wiring. How does the alarm hook up to the lights? Is there a wire just spliced into the factory harness?

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2003 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
if you find the brain, there is the blue fuse/red wire. just unfuse it and this will discon the unit. it say viper/500 on the black box. its the crappy wiring job, follow it.
there is a (+) hooked up to your vett. it the white wire from the alarm to your brown wire.
there should be a splice or tap in. it could possibly be this wire being shorted when spliced in and not properly taped.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic