icon

system set up

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
circle of ash 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
I'm going to be pulling 1400 watts RMS. I am going to have 2 capacitors. A HO Alternator, 0 gauge wire, and a total of 2 amps. I was wondering which way was the best to wire it. I'll be pulling at least 200 amps, I have to double check for exact amperage. Now what I was planning on doing was to run the zero gauge to a d-block and from there it would go down to 3 0 gauge outputs. Then from terminal 1 if you will to the sub amp. Terminal 2 to the 4 chan amp. Terminal 3 to a distribution block that feeds both caps into it. This sounds like a lot but in theory it should work. I was also going to use power cable adaptors to size the 0 down to 4 to go straight into amp. Now in actuallity i can't seem to find a 0 gauge in 0 gauge out distribution block. So my other theory would be to run 0 gauge to the d-block , power cable adaptors to on the 0 into 4 gauge to the dblock and then to everything else. Sounds like a lot. Now if anyone has any comments, quicker or more efficient methods of doing this, or needs more info just ask.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2007 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

Welcome to the12volt! I'm glad you got away from Yahoo!Answers system set up -- posted image.. You'll find this site to be all you'll need for car audio.

Run a 0g to the back. Use a 1-0g to 2-4g output distro-block - 1 4g for each amp.

Forget the caps, they'll only hurt you.

Make sure you do the Big3 in 0g (since you're already using 0g!). Most HO alternator manufacturers won't warantee them if you don't do the Big3.

Forgot... What amps will you be using?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
circle of ash 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
I don't understand your logic for the caps only hurting my application. And you don't think i should use power cable adapters? Doesn't going down to 4 limit the amount of power that will go to my amps? My Sub amp is pushing 1200 and the 4 chan is 200. So Won't that be too much for the 4 gauge to be carrying?
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  

People think that caps will stop your headlights from dimming, etc... when in actuality they only make things worse. They're just another thing the alternator -the unquestionably only source of power in a vehicle (when it's running, what matters)- has got to keep charged. With a 250amp HO alt, Big3 upgrade, and possibly a battery upgrade to a RedTop, you'll never have the need for any number of caps, I promise.

What are the amp model #'s? Power cable adapters will limit the current exactly the same as a distro-block that goes from 0 - 4g, so why waste your money on them? For only a couple feet at most, from the distro-block to the amps, the 4g will be plenty -for each amp. 4g wire has a current capacity of 150amps. Your total system power, if really 1400watts RMS, only adds up to about 188amps, so like I said...er, wrote; for only a couple feet at most, from the distro-block to the amps, the 4g will be plenty -for each amp.

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
circle of ash 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
I have an Audiobahn A2300HCT amp for my subs
An Audiobahn 4 channel amp not sure of model# but it's a 50x4
I didn't realize that the power cable adapters will limit the power just as much as running 4 gauge so yeah thats pretty awesome. That saves me money in my setup. And I know my Sub amp has 4 40 amp fuses I'm not sure about the 50x4 but i think its 60 amps. Ummm....what else..?I'm planning on doing the big 3 and i can attribute that to you so thank you. You recommended that to me and thats why I'm doing it. I'm installing 2 polk audio SR124 and powering them in parallel at 2 ohms at 600RMS a piece not peak RMS. And not to doubt you at all, I'm just honestly learning alot over the last 3 months about car audio and i'm trying to soak everything in so bear with me. Doesn't a capacitor hold a charge and disperse it at peak power moments in your music so that the alternator doesn't get "strained" as much? So in that theory then i don't really understand why the alternator has to keep maintaining the charge if you do an initial charge when you first install it.I mean I understand that If I do the big3 and a HO Alternator that I should have more than enough steady power that I don't have to worry about the headlights or anything else I just have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the capacitor does more harm than good. So this is my last post regarding the good or bad of a cap if you could just answer this last post it would be great. Your input is much appreciated Ohm. Thank you.
jmelton86 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  

Bridged @ 2ohms, the amp will put out about 1200watts, closer to 1000 actually. I think you're better off keeping it bridged @ 2ohms instead of 1. The amp will last (a little) longer like this. -Be careful with the gain(s).

Your charging system should be okay for this. As for caps, you're on your own. Noone here really recommends them. I used to have one, but my alt almost failed -the charge wire (factory at the time, before I knew of the Big3) on the alt started turning brown, it was about to fry- as well as the fact that it never helped at all with dimming lights. They just don't. Now, if you've got plenty (I mean, plenty) of alternator power to spare, they may help stiffen the voltage (not boost in ANY way), but any properly designed power amplifier will have all the capacitance it needs.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic