ipod 92 vw passat, is relay required

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twentyvee 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing this.......

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aFHwPcRk6iP/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=206PDRCAV2&id=detailed_info

and this.......

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=modulat&i=142FMMOD01

on a 1992 VW Passat with stock radio. The radio has a couple of switched powers for things like factory ACTIV amp (which is not being used) and power antenna. Can I tap into one of those to power up these two new components without a realy? Or do you think those 2 items will create too much of a draw and I should use a relay?

Thanks

houndz805 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
You should have no problem with that. Any switched wire would be fine behind the radio. You will need a few more things though to make this work. You will need an antenna adapter both male and female for your car as well as mounting a switch to turn the FM Modulator on and off, so you could listen to FM when you are not playing your ipod.
However, instead of spending $60+ as well as a bunch of time and effort, you might consider spending a little more and purchasing a aftermarket cd player that has an aux input.
FYI... FM modulators (even hard wired ones) sound like ace.
It was already broken, but I made sure it could never be fixed again.
Twentyvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

So no relay is required for wiring the ipod adapter and the FM modulator off of the amp turn-on wire on the back of the radio?

I planned on not using a on/off switch on the modulator and just wiring it up to the amp turn-on wire on the radio. Are you saying that if the modualtor is on, no other radio stations will come in? The modulator HAS to be turned off to listen to other FM stations?

I already have the antenna adapters. The stock radio is a remaining. This is a show car and the must have stock looking interior....

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Twentyvee wrote:

So no relay is required for wiring the ipod adapter and the FM modulator off of the amp turn-on wire on the back of the radio?

I planned on not using a on/off switch on the modulator and just wiring it up to the amp turn-on wire on the radio. Are you saying that if the modualtor is on, no other radio stations will come in? The modulator HAS to be turned off to listen to other FM stations?

I already have the antenna adapters. The stock radio is a remaining. This is a show car and the must have stock looking interior....

No this is NOT the case.... just what ever frequency your modulator is using will be un able to receive any REAL FM. If your modulater is real close to a real FM station, you could get some bleed over. Otherwise don't worry. No need to turn it off. Although the on/off switch isn't a bad idea.....

Twentyvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

PHEW! Thanks for clearing that up.

My plans are to have the FM modulator and the ipod adapter/charger turn on with the radio only. Being wired by the amp turn-on wire on the back of the radio. 

So can it be verified that a relay won't be required for these components?

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
Uhhh Kartuneman you are my pal but you are wrong. If you look at the Scosch part he is buying it is a HARDWIRED Fm mod. If it is not turned off the FM reception will be affected big time. If it were wireless you would be correct.
1992 VW Passat showcar! Pics please.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Twentyvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Radio is Passat, car itself is actually a GTI.

Hard-wired has to be shut-off to receive other stations???

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. It will effect your radio reception big time.
There is no such thing as free installation!
Twentyvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

That sucks. I'm so not down for an on and off switch. Looks like i'm gonna have to get a wireless transmitter. Can anyone recommend one that I can hardwire and hide, I don't want to plug it into my cigarette lighter....

Twentyvee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
It must also charge the ipod......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic