icon

Review of Autopage RS 1000

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ky_jelly 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2007 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Being a devoted Compustar fan and unable to find the new Compustar PRO2WSS-AS at a reasonable price, i decided about 2 weeks ago to 'see outside the square' and install the new Autopage RS-1000 remote start alarm in my car.
The alarm came with installation instructions that were clear and detailed - not as detailed as DEI, but more detailed than Compustar. The installation was straight forward and relatively easy. There wasn't anything that annoyed me or anything that was confusing. However, i did find it puzzling that Autopage included a relay harness for the starter kill but did not include the relay to go with it. Anyway after installation and testing, here are the good the bad and the downright annoying points of this alarm IMO.
GOOD:
- Features galore. Any feature you can think of - it has.
- 6 channel output with 3 programmable channels for pulse, latch or
time control from 2sec to 2min.
- easy to program
- access to features can be through the menu system of the remote(just    
like in your mobile phone) or through combination presses of the       
remote buttons for quick access.
- very bright and clear OLED display.
- Battery life is impressive
- Range is good. Not as far as the Compustar systems but further than
most other brands.
- user interface is easy and clear.
- can able/disable shock sensor, passive arming through remote.
- for the remote you can choose between audible, vibrate or audible and vibrate.
BAD:
- They included the gimmicky driver knock sensor that you stick to    your windscreen so that people can knock on it to page you. This feature i found totally useless and pointless and as a result, i did not intalled in my car.
- One would think that with all the features, they should at least include an input for an additional sensor such as a microwave or tilt sensor, but they didn't! As a result i had to wire my microwave sensor to my shock sensor.
- There's no dedicated trunk trigger input?! I mean how can they overlook something as simple as this?
- When you remote open your boot, you have to disarm the alarm first.
With Compustar, the alarm automatically disarms your car before it
remote opens the boot.
- Response of the remote is a little bit slow compared with other
900MHZ frequency alarm systems. When you arm/disarm the remote, it   takes about a second to display the status. When the alarm goes off, the
remote takes about 4 seconds to respond.
- Remote is a little on the chunky side. About the same length and
thickness of the Compustar 2WSSAS remote, but not as wide.
- Audible alarm on the remote is a joke. Not loud enough and there is
no urgency in the tone.
- Vibration is also a joke. You can hardly feel it in the front pocket
of your tight jeans, let alone when you are wearing loose pants.
- After remote start, it Does not turn off engine when the car door is triggered
- no safety feature for remote start in manual cars
The Annoying:
- Have to disarm before remote boot open.
- No warning chirp before passive arming.
So there you have it. As you can see, the good points of this alarm greatly outweighs its bad and annoying points and IMO is a very good system. Seeing that i've only had it for about a week or so, i can't tell you about its reliability but i can say that so far everything is working fine with no problems.
If you want a fancy alarm that you can show off to your friends - this is it. You won't be disappointed.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic