astroflex serie 120

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mmcwill 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Greetings,
I have been asked to help a friend revive his command start. I have discovered the unit is an astroflex "Serie 120". I have a strong feeling that the remote fob needs to be programmed to the unit. I have checked all the relevant wiring, and the unit seems to still be installed correctly.
I can't find programming instructions. However, there is a bank of 8 programming dip switches next to an LED which will flash when the key is removed.
I get the impression that I need to set some dipswitches during the remote fob programming, and then turn them all off again. I am also curious about tach learning/programming (I have checked continuity on the tach wire).
If anyone has information on this apparently ancient unit I would be in your debt. I have been to the Astroflex website, and it is as though the unit never existed. The part number is 310-126-101 and it was installed in a 1991 ford explorer eddie bauer edition
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

Thats OLD...... try this.

hood closed keys in your hand (not in the ign.) flip up # 8, push the foot brake, hit ANY button on the transmitter (hit unlock)

The unit "should" click and flash the led on the unit.    Put dip # 8 down, hit the brake......done. (if it programmed)  now try it!

usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
Those are difficult to program if you have never done one before, I would send your friend to an Astrostart dealer, playing with those dip switches without knowing what you are doing will cause all sorts of problems, unless as you only need to program a transmitter..
I have been doing them since they first came out and I still get confused when I don't have my Multitest programmer.
I even remember doing them on carburated engines with an acuator tied into the choke, and you guys think transponders are a pain..
mmcwill 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

Tried out KarTuneMan's advice, and no dice.

However, the LED did flash when the brake was pressed.

I recommended my friend try out our local astro dealer as per usabuilt's advice.  Don't know if he'll take it...

So I reiterate. If anyone out there has info on this unit please please please enlighten me!

Without the installation manual, it's like fishing without a lure.

usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
try putting dipswitch 8 up, press transmitter button, then put switch down, then press brakes..
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

Don't just "try" anything...... these things have more programming from those little 8 dips, than you can imagine. What does the brain look like? Is it square or rectangle?

The other option for programing is this.... And these (the one I already gave you) and this one, are the only 2 ways that astro has EVER used for programming remotes.

open hood

turn key to ON position

hit brakes 1 time

you now have 10 seconds to turn the key from ON to STOP 3 times. If done corectly the unit will flask the parking lights 4 times.

push any button on the transmitter. If there are more than one trans. do this on BOTH, or all that are going to be used.

confirmation of programming is the parking lights will flash 4 times.

when this happens, hit the brakes.

If this does not work you need to check the reciever (antenna) to make sure all is in tact. NOTHING will work if the antenna is messed up. Check the connection at the main unit as well.

Also, look for the main control switch (it's an on/off switch) make sure it's ON.

I am an Astro dealer, so my info is valid. astroflex serie 120 -- posted image.

usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
if you put dip 8 up and press the brake before you press you transmitter button you in efect just entered a settting into memory, which is why it will not work..to test your tach connection you can start the car and look at the led on the module, it should blink with the rev's of the engine.
usabuilt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2007 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
p.s. on the older units which I have experience installing you cannot program a transmitter using your ign key
KarTuneMan 
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

mmcwill:    Try it would ya... let us know. As I said, there have only been 2 ways to program an astro transmitter. They are BOTH stated above!

If it does not program with one of these 2 options, there is quite possibly something else wrong!

Good luck

mmcwill 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2007 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

Alright....

I tried the new method using the key /ign on/off procedure and no dice.  I also tried the dip up key fob press dip down then brake and no dice.

However, I took a close look at the antenna. It has three wires that go into the unit in a plug. I noticed that another wire (black) was snapped off. I imagine this is 90% of my problem.  I made the assumption that the antenna must be a powered antenna, and that black would be a ground, and hooked it to chassis. Still no love.

I also took the vehicle for a spin and the tachometer wire is definitely hooked up as the LED flashes faster with faster RPMs.

So... if anyone can tell me more about the antenna, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers, and many thanks for the prompt replies to help me with this problem. New command starts here start at 90$ for the cheapest with no install, and jump to 150$ with install, so fixing this one will still save a small bundle.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic