icon

dei viper sst, satellite relay problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basmoq 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hi guys, I'm installing a Viper DEI SST alarm system and having issues with this relay they have. For starters, a diagram of how the thing works would be useful. The problem I'm having is that it's not providing power to the pink/white wire (second ignition/Accessory). I checked the ribbon harness and I get 12 volts when the system is not on, same thing on the ignition, starter, and primary accessory wire. When the remote start is active, I get .5 volts on the ignition, starter, and primary accessory wire, but 1.28 volts on the secondary accessory wire... and of course, no power to that wire through the relay. Is the problem that the alarm is not lowering the voltage enough to set off the relay, or is the relay fried?
Really aggravating situation, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Could I safely test it by grounding the pink/white relay turn on wire? I'm assuming the system works by running 12volts from the ignition to the alarm system, which grounds the wire when needed to complete the circuit. I can't imagine another scenario being that the relay pack doesn't have a ground wire...
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

I would unplug the relay and test voltage between pin 85 and pin 86.

If you think you have a bad relay you can try swapping the relay with another one in the harness.

I believe that the relay pack is powered by the thick red 12VDC wires.  The other side of the relay 'floats' unconnected until the control unit outputs a 500mA ground through a darlington transistor (typically a 7 transistor pair array).

You read 12vdc on the ribbon cable side because you are reading the voltage that bleeds through the resistive coil on the relay.  If you pull the relay out of the socket your 12vdc reading will disapear.

Kevin Pierson
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
the problem is it's a relay pack, it's sealed up and a bitch to get to, but your right, it's probably just IC socket relays in the pack, so I'll tear it apart if I can and replace the relay...
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

so they changed the design of the satelite relay harnesses?  Its been a while since I've installed a Viper system.

That being said, I would pull the fuses from the red wires (assuming they are still there) and test the thin guage wires for ground just to make sure the unit is supplying a ground out.  If there is a ground out, then there is a good chance the relay is bad.  At that point, I would try simply grounding the relay trigger like you brought up to see if the relay energizes (you'll have to put the fuses back in of course)

Kevin Pierson
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, figured it out, I never hooked up the RED / white power input wire, I didn't know what it was for, after looking at the board, it seems that it powers the acc2 wire... Why it needs it's own power source, I don't know, but anyway, I have to go buy a fuse, because it isn't fused for some stupid reason... The other power wires are fused...
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2007 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well, that did fix it! I'm now completely ready to go! Yay for me, another alarm done.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
each output has it's own power feed, RED / white feeds the pink/white, the red next to is feeds teh pink wire, and finally the last red feeds the the orange and purple wires as well as the relay pack.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
basmoq 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2007 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
ya, I had to open the thing to figure out the wiring, I should have done that in the first place...
One question though, is it a good idea, being that I'm running the alarm washer fluid warmer and defroster off of the ignition, to bring in an additional power wire from the battery? I didn't know if it may cause loops in the system. I don't think it's necessary because the two defrosters don't run when the car is starting, they kick in afterwards.
Thanks for all the help guys! I wouldn't have had a successful install without this site.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic