icon

no radio reception after adding amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 acura rsx type s with a complete aftermarket system. I have a jvc kd-avx33 with polk momo amplifiers and components. Everything sounds wonderful except my AM radio reception. It is totally gone and I am very unhappy about it. I know that it is being caused by the class d polk momo c500.1. This is not a case of the power antenna wire not being hooked up. Even though I know the source of the problem, I have no clue of how to fix it. I went ahead and ordered a metra antennaworks amplified universal winshield antenna. I am very unhappy with that antennas performance. While it does help a little and I am able to pick up all the am stations, the reception is very staticy. Fm stations sound like crap with lots of static. So this metra product is just nothing compared to the factory am/fm antenna which always provided great reception. Does anybody on here know of a antenna I can buy that would fix my reception or any other advice you can give me. Thank you.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Relocate your amp

csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Relocating it is impossible. I have only limited space in this car and the only place I can put the amp is in the trunk. The antenna is on the rear window so anywhere in the trunk area that I would put the amp will cause me to loose am. I really appreciate your advice though and hope you could think of something else for me. Do you know of any antennas that would work? What do other people with class D amps do when they have those factory invisible rear window antennas like I have? Thanks
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

That's a tough situation. I must ask, but have you temporarily disabeled the mono amp as to isolate it as the problem 100%?

I have heard that class d circuitry can interefe with radio reception but for such a common car to upgrade, you'd think there would be more complaints of this nature. 

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
Boy I've put lots of Class D amps in RSXs ( our store demo car is an 2oo5 RSX ) and have never run into that. It has a JL 500/1 in the back. Are you sure the antennas amp is powered up. Did you test it at the antenna?
There is no such thing as free installation!
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2007 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Well to be honest, I did not isolate it to the sub amp but its deff one of my two amplifers. I don't think this car has a power antenna wire but a factory amp turn on. I think the problem is that the c500.1 is especially bad when it comes to interference as opposed to other class d amps. The only problem is i am not about to shell out money for a different sub amp only to find out it didn't help. I previously had the jvc unit integrated with the factory bose system before I went aftermarket completely. I had great radio reception then. Once the amps when in, all went to hell. TCSS, when you installed the complete aftermarket systems in the rsx, which wires on the factory wiring harness did you wire up. I am not using the factory harness at all except for the ACC wire. I took power and ground from the back with my amps.Do you think I should power up any of the wires on the factory harness?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2007 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Your Bose turn on lead is your amplified antenna lead. Mind you, this is not a "power" antenna but an amplified antenna. Because it is in the rear glass it needs to boost the signal with 12 volts. Go back and hook up that wire to acc switched.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will do that ASAP and thank you for the advice. Its raining now where I am and I will be busy for a few days but I will do it this week. Anything is worth a try. Just a quick thing I think I mentioned earlier. The FM reception is still crystal clear and perfect like it was before I put the amps in. Because the FM is working perfectly without the antenna wire being hooked up, do you still think that hooking that wire up would help?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2007 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, AM is what suffers most.
csnut18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
I just would like to thank everyone who gave me advice here. Your idea about powering up the remote amp turn on wire did indeed solve my radio reception problem. I wired the brown wire on the facory harness to the power antenna turn on lead on my jvc and my radio recetion returned. I do have to say that the reception is slightly worse than the factory head unit. I guess the jvc just doesn't have a great tuner. It is deff working normally now and I am happy. Thank you.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic