icon

3 audiobahn 10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grayhd 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2007 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

I recently posted a question about my audiobahn alum10n subwoofers, but now I have a different question. I had 2 woofers and a buddy gave me a third. My question is what amp would make these run great. I had the 2 running of a fosgate 601s but it sounded really bad. Here is the spec for the speakers.

• Aluminum Voice Coil Former
  • Extended Pole Piece
  • Vented Oversized Back Plate
  • Flat Spider
  • 120 oz. Double Stacked Strontium Magnets
  • Power Handling: 800 watts R.M.S.
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz – 500Hz
  • Efficiency: 95.6dB
  • PHAT 1.75" EPDM Rubber Surround
  • Spun Aluminum 1-Piece Cone
  • 3" 4-Layer Edge Wound Voice Coil
  • Dual 6 Ohm
  • 3 Ohm or 12 Ohm Operation
  • Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 5" Hole; 9 1/4" Diameter; 10 7/8"
  • Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals
  • Thanks

haemphyst 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,054
    Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: October 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
    Any mono amplifier rated 1200 to 1500 watts or so, at 1 or 4 ohms, OR any bridgeable stereo amplifer rated 1200 to 1500 watts bridged into 4 ohms. With three of them, you can get a 4 ohm or a 1 ohm load pretty easily, so that's what you are expecting in your amplifier, with the desired (a CLAIMED 2400 watts - but it's Audiobahn, so cut that in half) power into your available load... 1 ohm, 1 ohm bridged (half ohm stable), 4 ohms, or 4 ohms bridged (2 ohm stable).
    I say ANY, because there's not much sense spending a lot of money on a good amp for those woofers. (But that's just my opinion, but not really - it an opinion shared by many here...)
    It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
    grayhd 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: October 28, 2007 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
    Thanks for the info haemphyst. I have really noticed a lot of negative feedback on the subs from alot of post on here but I got all 3 for 125 total and just figured why not. I have heard the two and they seemed way underpowered with the 601s. By adding another one and a 1200 - 1500 watt mono or bridgeable will it make a significant difference in sound? Thanks again. Anyone else?
    haemphyst 
    Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: October 28, 2007 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
    It really is going to be COMPLETELY determined by your enclosure. In a proper box, you could run 50 watts a piece, and it'll blow your windows out of your car. For someone to say that 1200 watts will make the three sound good, they're yanking your chain... They simply CAN'T tell you that. End of story. 3 audiobahn 10 -- posted image.
    Since we have no idea of your definition of "sounded underpowered" we can't tell you how much you are going to need to make it sound "right".
    It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
    grayhd 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: October 28, 2007 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

sorry to bother you with yet another question but here it goes. Would a US AMPS XT-4000d be a good amp to use based on the numbers you gave me? The vehicle is a silverado crew cab so there is not alot of space behind the backseats. What type of box would be best suited to that application?

Thanks again

haemphyst 
    Posted: October 29, 2007 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
    What type of box can only be answered by you... What kind of music do you like? What kind of response do you want? How much space are you willing to lose?
    All of the questions you might ask and answer will mandate a trade-off somewhere else. Vented boxes are louder, but larger, and sacrifice low frequency response. Sealed boxes are not as loud, but smaller, and offer (generally) deeper and smoother frequency response.
    As far as the amplifier suggestion... That'd do alright. The claims of 200@4, 450@2, and 1500@1 are BS, IMO... 200 at 4, OK, but you can't get more than 400 (with a perfect power supply) at 2, and again, you can't get more than 800 (again, with a perfect power supply) at 1... I can't see any manufacturer building an amp to stress it even MORE at lower impedances, by making it make more voltage and current... Makes no sense.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic