icon

amplifier problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roflanna 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
i have a general question concerning one of the two amps in 2000 Z71. i have an old kenwood excelon x501 4 channel amp and a punch 125 for my sub. for some reason, by a will of its own , the kenwood amplifier comes on when it wants. the punch is on everytime i crank the truck? i have tried a relay on the remote wire and no luck. the h/u is the new pioneer 6900, prof. installed. now i had both amps repaired recently (new power supplies)on each, so that may be the problem there but everytime i take it back it works fine for the guy. there is no ground noise, it dosent cut off when its on,like a short or clip, doesnt run hot, but when i turn the truck off it just doesnt come back on sometimes.it may go 2 days and work fine, then off for a day. i tried jumping the amp, no luck. when its off it wont power up till its ready. i have a 250 amp wafer fuse from the battery and split in the rear with 2-80 amp fuses, one to each amp. any ideas, im at my wits end.
roflanna
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  

Are the 80 amp fuses GOLD in color?   Swap the 80 amp fuses.  Take the one out of the Rockford power wire and put it in the kenwood wire. If the problem moves to the other amp, you have a bad fuse.

roflanna 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
tried that, didnt work. replaced them just to make sure, still not working
roflanna
roflanna 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  
the only thing i can think of that might cause it would be the amp grounding out on the truck wall i have it mounted to, i dont know. its puzzling though, theres no quick on and off like a loose wire per say. when its on it plays great, loud as i want and as long as i want, but when you turn the power off it just will not power back up half the time unless it sits, like over night most of the time. thanks for the help though. any more ideas are welcome
roflanna
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a bad amp to me.  Go to a good local shop and get it tested.
Support the12volt.com
roflanna 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
ive tried taking it back to the guy who replaced the power source, but like i said it works once it gets to the testing bench, any sources for other trusted local shops in houston would be a great help
roflanna
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have a volt meter to do a little troubleshooting?

roflanna 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
no, but i tried jumping the 12v. power to the remote and i got nothing, and yes the remote wire to the head unit was disconected. im wondering if the power supplyhe replaced was bad?
roflanna
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well, since you don't actually "replace the power supply", you "repair the power supply" (they're on the same circuit board as the actual amplifier, so unless you are replacing the ENTIRE BOARD, you can't "replace the power supply"), I'd guess that he did something wrong. What it is I couldn't even guess, but what you are describing to me sounds like there could be a cold solder joint somewhere inside.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
roflanna 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
fixable on my end? any tattle tale signs i could look for internally, or a good site too refer me too for direction. im determined to fix this damn thing, lol..
roflanna
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic