icon

cleanup tips?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ikethegoalie 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
anyone got any tips for cleaning up an install once its in the car so that it doesnt look like a holy rats nest?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
electrical tape, a wire loom and your set.
ikethegoalie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
well, it still looks like a rats nest, but i guess im going to attribute that tot he fact that theres a brain, a bypass, and 2 window modules in there..
kola7126 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
The soldering-it the best decision for this case.
ikethegoalie 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
well, im not too worried about the connections, more worried about the mass of leftover wire
davids604 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like a mess.  If it's already installed, then it's not really a choice, but I ran the trigger and +12V const into the door, all the wiring for the window modules stays in there and that's a good way to clean things up.  It worked really well for me.  Something to keep in mind for future installs I guess.

As for under the dash, group wires up that start/end at the same place, and black tape them up, if you have excess length, loop the wires until the slack is gone, and tape it up so that it's inbetween the start/stop points, you can eliminate a lot of wire like that.

After that it should look like factory wiring.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
what i do is map out all my wires before starting. eg. if you do remote start, run all remote start wires and keysense or ignition/acc detection to one place. connected them however and tape it up. usually parking lights, keyless entry are all in kick panel. run the ones u need and tape or loom it. Find a place to put the brain then all the wires u left unused, cover them up with crimp heads, electrical tape ir even heat shrink.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
with all of mine i prep everything on the bench. I make all connections to bypasses, etc together, then make the brain/bypasses one big module utilizing zipties. Then I find where I want to hide the modules(brains). Once they are where I want them to be, I run all of my wires along factory wire harness and use wire loom wherever more than 3 wires run to the same location. I cut all of the wires pretty much to length (if the connection is right next to the brain, and cutting to length would leave the wire very short, then i bundle up some excess). Not every one looks great, but most that I do you cannot even tell there is a remote starter installed without seeing the connections.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

mostly i would worry about the prewire as some also pointed out. run all the wires that end in the same place together, tape them up then run them along factory wiring, try not to span wide open spaces. cut wires to length, dont just bundle the access when your done. plan out your wiring. mostly make a neat pre-wire.

Jonathan

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

Tedmond and off roadzj have the right answers but you might have to pull everything out before you can do it.

Remember "IF IT LOOKS LIKE SPAGHETTI IT'S PROBABLY COOKED!"

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic