icon

is mat necessary

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  

i've been into car audio for a while (far from pro but i know basic stuff).  i'm new to fiberglassing, never tried it, but i'm ready to dive in.  i was thinking about doing a kick panel or maybe a panel on the door to hold a component set.

just wondering is fiberglass mat necessary to hold some comps in place.  would just maybe a couple of layers of fleece do it.  also if it is necessary is there any general stores that carry chop mat or woven?  home depot, lowes, wal-mart, etc.?  sorry if this question gets asked alot...i did search a little :)  all input apreshe8ed.

thanks

dbcat111 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2007 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

fleece and resin are very brital and would add at leats 2 layers of mat try  using other material instead of fleece You can use something like spandex, or any t-shirt type material the fleece takes way to much resin and besides the is only to give the shape not  Strength you get that from the mat.I get all my stuff from uscomposites.com but if I need something fast I go to lowes and try to stay away from the bondo brand you'll thank your self later

dbcat
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with dbcat111.. try the spandex...soaks up less resin...and you can get it pulled nice and tight...
...don't crush the weasel...
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
so i should use the cloth/fabric for shape and use mat for strength
dbcat111 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

yes sir and what ever material you use make sure you strech it as tight as you can or you'll get wrinkles after resin

dbcat
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  

t-shirt material,or even grille cloth works well and will soak up less resin ..money saved..i typically apply 3-4 layers of mat for strength followed by duraglass to prevent cracking followed by a good body filler for easy sanding and smooth surface ....stretch material tight ....get stranded mat its stronger and better for curved projects.

salomon767 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
fleece works too
spawn12336 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
I learned this the hard way when I built the dj stand in the back of my ride. Make sure that whatever material you get has as little to no polyester in it as possible. I used something that was 75% poly, and the resin started to disolve it! I started over again with cotton jersey knit t-shirt material.
"the universe has a way of balancing itself"
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
sorry to hijack, but can you get rolls of spandex, or do you guys just go out and buy a shirt or something. What do you do for a larger project? I just used fleece on mine, and it really soaked up a ton of resin.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
dbcat111 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
i get my material at the local walmart at about 50cents per yard they have a lot of defferent fabrics that you can used and they wont take alot of resin
dbcat
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic