12 inch enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ice32 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
hey guys,
I'm building a Enclosure for my 12inch sub, i don't have any specifications on the required enclosure size, so is there a universal volume that sounds good for 12inch subs?
or am i going to have to just experiment with size's?
thanks
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
What is the model # of the sub? What amp will you be using? What vehicle is it going in? What are your aspirations (SQ or SPL)? What types of music do you listen to?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
hey,
I'm after SQ its going into a 2000 lancer CE.
The sub is a boss audio 12inch 1200w BA1290
the amp is boss audio 300w BA2210
and i mainly listen to techno and rock
I know there both cruddy but its my first sub and amp so im building up from that.
My plans are to build a fiberglass box that has a shelf for my toolkit and enough room for my amp and sub enclosure on top of that shelf.
i've never fiberglassed so i decided i'd make the enclosure and shelf out of wood then fg around it all for looks and fit.
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

make sure you do some research on how the process of fiberglassing goes... It's real simple to end up with a bunch of wasted materials...

...don't crush the weasel...
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2007 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
yeh, I've read a lot of tutorials from this website and others, and I'm pretty sure I've got it down, thanks for the notice though
I'm just trying to get my sub in a good box this time, seems i just bought a premade 12inch ported box for it, that im convinced after reading these forums is to small for a ported 12inch box
+ the port goes sideways not the same direction of the sub, thats one reason im looking to rebuild a box for it.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
 hey "cruddy" subs in a properly designed and constucted enclosure can sound as good as "better" subs in improperly designed and constructed enclosures.........for sq typically sealed enclosures. my advice get the T/S parameters for your subs by calling manufacturer ...download WinISD..its free follow instructions.....or have a competent installer design and constuct an enclosure for you.....good luck
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Hey,
so im in the process of finishing up my first layer of fg on my enclosure and there are a fair few spots id like to sand flat,
is it ok to do so after the first layer of fg? or should i wait till im done fiberglassing and sand it all at the end?
the spots i wish to sand back aren't just small rises its where the fleece folded over itself, i kinda stuffed up the fleecing so yeh.
thanks
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
 i would wait to sand until all layers are layed down....on your next fg project try using grille cloth instead of fleece because gc is alot thinner than fleece and if you have to fold over not as big of a rise..gc is more expensive but soaks up less resin than fleece saving money ....and try not to fold over your fabric(lots of sanding...frustrating)..stretch fabric from center out ...a few extra minutes spent stretching fabric leaving no wrinkles will save hours of sanding good luck keep glassin
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
hey,
Thanks for the advice,
I'll post pics when its done.
(edit)
Hey, i have a question about the body filler mix, what is the reason for adding fiberglass resin to the mix?
I've been asking around vehicle repair shops and they can't understand it as it would be too hard to sand with FG resin,
is the normal body filler and hardener to brittle without the resin? or is it something else? any help would be great,
Thanks
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
hey, so i started building the box and tested it the other day, i noticed the back of the box flex's still so I'll have to add more layers of fiberglass.
My question is can i add ribs of wood then fiberglass over them 2 make it completely solid, or would the air trapped in between the ribs weaken it?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic