icon

tweeters not screaming?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itsmejaytee 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
i have      Infinity Reference 6810cs 6"x8" 2-way and i hooked up the woofer and the tweeter to the crossover. the woofer sounds awesome but i can barely hear the tweeter? its hooked up too an amp and still no difference? should i unhook it from the crossover that i came with and just hook it straight to the amp?
some help would be much appreciated
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
itsmejaytee wrote:
i have Infinity Reference 6810cs 6"x8" 2-way and i hooked up the woofer and the tweeter to the crossover. the woofer sounds awesome but i can barely hear the tweeter? its hooked up too an amp and still no difference? should i unhook it from the crossover that i came with and just hook it straight to the amp?
some help would be much appreciated
1: Check inside the crossover to see if there is a padding jumper. Unless you like it REALLY bright, if the jumper is set at 0 or +3, it'll be PLENTY bright.
2: NO!!! You'll blow them in a hot second. The crossover is there to protect the tweeter, as well as "voice" it, and it MUST be in line.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Also remember you often do not "hear" the tweeter, especially if the system is well blended.   Also, tweeters should not "scream."
Support the12volt.com
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

What amp or headunit are you using to power them with? Is it maybe a Pioneer and you have the FIE on. If this is the case, you may have them wired to the rear channels which would only allow bass through -the front channels only allow midrange and high frequencies through.

Or maybe you have a lowpass filter before the external crossovers somewhere.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
itsmejaytee 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by bright? like loud right? well the cross over has an option of normal or -3db and on -3db it sounds even worse. i guess thats the way it is? i thought it would be able to pump out some decent volume.
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
Check your to see if your postive and negitive is correct
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
itsmejaytee wrote:
what do you mean by bright? like loud right? well the cross over has an option of normal or -3db and on -3db it sounds even worse. i guess thats the way it is? i thought it would be able to pump out some decent volume.
"Bright" is a phrase that indicates that the highs are "too loud" referenced to the woofer output; i.e. not a flat output. By the title of your thread, I'm guessing that you do, in fact, like it "bright". If you have the attenuator set at 0, and it's not loud enough for you, then either you need a different set of components, or you need to bi-amp your system, so you can adjust the volume of the tweeter individually.
still_walkin wrote:
Check your to see if your postive and negitive is correct
That won't make any kind of overall output difference, but it will make a "hole" in the frequency response at the crossover point. However, depending on the slope, the distance between the woofer and the tweeter, the frequency of the crossover point, it COULD actually help in overall integration.
::::EDIT::::
I found the manual online... Those systems are not bi-ampable or bi-wirable. You're stuck. MAYBE an equalizer might help, or possibly play with your tone controls, but you're not gonna get a brighter response with those systems...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking that there is something wrong in the setup ...
Are you using RCA's to your amp?
Try listening to just one component set by unplugging one of the RCA's.
Is your amp set to LPF or HPF?
Obviously set the jumper on the crossover for the tweeter on 0 or +3 if you arent getting enough output.
itsmejaytee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help guys. Im still new at this and i still have much too learn. yea i guess ill just live with it for now until i get more money for better amps and what not. but thanks for the input!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic