best setup for existing equipment.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kbjy11 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Folks,

I have a 1996 integra that i recently purchased, and I am in the process of installing a bunch of parts pulled from a working setup. I'm pretty good with my hands, but my knowledge of car audio is pretty limited so I'm asking for some advice!

First, let me list the components:

Speakers - Phoenix Gold RSd65cs - http://www.online/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=17540

2 Amps - Lightning Audio LA1.150.2  - http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1422524/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Headunit- Pioneer DEH-P7700MP - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_150874695_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

The plan: Run RCAs from the headunit to the amp, then the amp to the speakers. I plan on installing the amps under the seats.

Questions:

1) Do I need to run new speaker wire into the doors? The stock wire looks awfully thin... not sure what the gauge is but i can count like 20 strands of copper wire... Will there be a noticeable difference in SQ?

2) For speakers I plan on just running the component set on the fronts, no rears. I have 2 amps, will it be benificial to put the driver and passenger side on seperate amps? Will this change anything regarding question #1?

3) is it okay to power the amps from each other? like:  Battery -------------Amp----------Amp (hope you get what i mean)

Any answers, comments, suggestions would help enormously! Thanks in advance.

dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

1) Do I need to run new speaker wire into the doors? The stock wire looks awfully thin... not sure what the gauge is but i can count like 20 strands of copper wire... Will there be a noticeable difference in SQ?

You will be fine useing the factory wire unless you feel the need to use bigger wire, my self I would just cause I have the stuff around  most of the time. It can be a PIA to get it throught the door gromets sometimes.

2) For speakers I plan on just running the component set on the fronts, no rears. I have 2 amps, will it be benificial to put the driver and passenger side on seperate amps? Will this change anything regarding question #1?

It will not make any difference where you put your amps at. Just make sure that you have a good ground and you keep your power wires and RCA cables seperated as much as your able. Power down one side of the car RCA down the otherside.

3) is it okay to power the amps from each other? like:  Battery -------------Amp----------Amp (hope you get what i mean)

Just get a dull amp install kit it has all the stuff you will need to get the job done. Wallmart has one it's like $30.00 And it will work just fine.

However why not just use the one amp for the front speakers and use the other for a sub? If your not wanting real loud a 10" sub in a small box or even a 8" if you dial it in right you will not even know the sub is on untill you turn it off.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
You will probably have to go into the doors, depending on where you are going to mount the tweeter. A simple way to get into the door is as follows:
Run your new speaker wire from your amp up to behind the head unit. Here you will CUT the existing factory speaker wires from the harness. Tie the new speaker wires from the amp and the old speaker wires from the factory together. Now you have an amped signal going into each door.
NO! Dont do that! You need to run the front speakers on one amp (2 channel) and then use the 2nd amp for a subwoofer or get some rear speakers.
3) is it okay to power the amps from each other? like: Battery -------------Amp----------Amp (hope you get what i mean)
Not sure what you mean, but you will need to use a fused power splitter of some sort. 4 gauge wire comes in, two sets of 8 gauge come out (for instance). It can work the same way for your ground.
Be sure to put a fuse on your power wire within 12" of the battery.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
coppellstereo wrote:
NO! Dont do that! You need to run the front speakers on one amp (2 channel) and then use the 2nd amp for a subwoofer or get some rear speakers.
This answer I have a bit of an issue with... It's a little thing called "headroom". Yes, you can do that, and you will realize many benefits, like better dynamic range, lowering the gain control to get the same output - better S/N ratio, the output section doesn't have to work as hard - lower distortion
Sure. Either bridge the amplifiers, one to each door, or if your speaker systems allow for bi-amping, or biwiring, take advantage of that option. Additional benefits to bi-amping, you can gain match EXACTLY the outputs of the woofer and the tweeter, a nice feature AFAIC.
I say go for it.
:::::EDIT:::::
Ummmm.... that amplifier says SPECIFICALLY it's a "subwoofer amplifier". I'm afraid it might not work at ALL in your install, it won't run the highs at all...
:::::EDIT TO THE EDIT:::::
Never mind, it'll do full range... You're OK. I say go for it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kbjy11 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply guys!

Yes, I am going to run the amped speaker wires back up to the harness so I can use the existing wiring. I wanted to run new wire, but I just researched it on my car and it is a total PITA.

Yes, I'm going to run a sub since i have one sitting around. it's a memphis 10" in a ported box. I heard it in action and it bumps pretty good.

Now, actually i found out i have another amp... so i need your opinion on this one...

It's a Sony XM-280GTX - http://www.epinions.com/pr-Sony_XM-280GTX_Car_Audio_Amplifier

From looking at the specs, it looks like this amp is better. Would it make sense to use this for the fronts. and the lighting audio one for the sub? or vice-versa?

I am not huge on crazy bass, i'm looking for more clean and crisp mids and highs...

let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

kbjy11 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

best setup for existing equipment. -- posted image.

Also, i drew up a pic about question #3... will this work? or do I have to draw a new line from the battery?

coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
To me, bi-amping would be running a separate amp to the mids/highs not to each side.
I've never heard of doing that before. How do you set that up properly?
coppellstereo 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
you need to use a fused power distribution block for your 12v+
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Distribution%20/%20Fuse%20Blocks
Those are a few simple ones.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic