icon

takes awhile for amp to cut completely on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 JensenJPA285 (I know) 2channel (250x1 @ 4ohm, CEA) -each bridged to their own coil of my Boston G51044(dual 4ohm). It's getting about 500Wrms.

Anyway, when I turn them on it takes them about 15seconds to turn all the way on. It's like in steps -it gets louder in steps until all the way on.

Any ideas?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  

It takes that long for the Hamsters to mount the wheel and get it up to speed.  It sounds like they may be using some kind of Soft-On technology.  Common in some older more costly amps.  But maybe since Audiovox bought them they may be trying some new things.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe try turning them on with a test tone playing - then you could hear/measure what is going on.
Could be the amp OR the headunit - how are your HU and amps connected? RCA or high level?
You might want to measure their output during the 'boot up' stage
ninefoot3 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
Owned a Jensen (06 model) 4ch amp that took about 2-3 seconds to power on. I'd hear bass in all of it's solitude while my Jensen amp took it's time juicing up the rest of the speakers. Seems to be a characteristic of the beast.
I ditched it and got a 4ch Alpine. Sound is amazing in comparison. Even with a lower wattage rating.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote: It takes that long for the Hamsters to mount the wheel and get it up to speed.

Ahahaha! I thought it could be something like that!

coppellstereo wrote: Maybe try turning them on with a test tone playing - then you could hear/measure what is going on.

Could be the amp OR the headunit - how are your HU and amps connected? RCA or high level?

It does it with any music. I actually noticed it with a bass note that holds for awhile -I don't think it'd be as easy with rock or something...

RCA's. My other amp (ClarionAPA2104 -RCA's also) that long, or in steps.

I figure it could be some kind of soft turn-on thing -or crappy capacitors. (I don't know much about internals - if that sounds dumb!).

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic