icon

dls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

I just scored a set for what I think is a REAL good deal. I just got the midbass's, not the mids/tweets/crossovers.

How would these rate against, say 7" revelators/Ushers/etc? They will be in an active 2 way for now until I can make some kicks for my Maxima and get some 4.5" mids to go in them; then they'll be active 3 way:)

Anybody used them?

EDIT: These are not the "i" s.

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

I just got these put in; damn they sound better than the Alpine's I had in there before. I am still breaking them in, but right now they go down to 50hz no problem, but I think I'll be crossing them over around 65hz via my DCX-730.

I thought these were fairly popular; no one's used them???

DLS's on the right, obviously...

dls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Revelators? No way. The Revelators are the FINEST, without question, mid-bass I've ever heard. One driver comes close, as far as I am concerned, and those are the Adire 6.8's. The linearity of the Adires is actually a little bit better, especially down low.
Utherwise, those sure look a LOT like a Morel designed motor structure to me... The treated pulp cone remindes me a lot of Seas or Scan-Speak.
If I had to say anything about them at all, I'm betting that, without even HEARING them, they'd spank the Alpines... :)
I'd consider a SLIGHTLY smaller mid-range, like a 4", rather than the 4.5 you said you were/are considering. It'll integrate beter with a good tweeter. For a 4.5, you'll have to lower your crossover frequency to the tweeter too low, this will compromise the tweeter's power handling capability.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

^ Ah, that's good info. The DLS set actually came with 3.2" mids IIRC, and a tweet; but as I said all I got was the midbass's.

Yes, they do spank the Alpines, no contest. Not even in the same category. I don't think I should have even let them be in the same picture :)

I think I am going to go with Seas 27TFFNC/G's, or Seas 27TAFNC/G's for the tweets. I haven't decided on which ones yet. From whay I've read, the 27TAFNC/G's aren't too harsh for being metal domes, so I am leaning towards them. I am just up in the air on my mids.

But I still can't wait to get these Iridium's broken in so I can crank it up, man it's nice to have quality equipment for once...

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
greenbroncoguy wrote:
I think I am going to go with Seas 27TFFNC/G's, or Seas 27TAFNC/G's for the tweets. I haven't decided on which ones yet. From whay I've read, the 27TAFNC/G's aren't too harsh for being metal domes, so I am leaning towards them. I am just up in the air on my mids.
NOO!!! dls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp -- posted image. No metal domes! GAH!!! No matter who makes them, you'll be able to tell a metal dome. Even Focal (who makes some of the most highly regarded metal domes in the world) don't sound all that nice. No, seriously, look into some silk domes, I think you'll be FAR happier, in the long run. Depending on the outlay desired, the D2905/9900 Revelator (a silk dome) can't be beaten, at any pri... well, a true ribbon will beat it, but those are THOUSANDS a pair... Go for the Revelator mid to top it off (the 12M-4631G), and you'll be building my desired system, BTW...
greenbroncoguy wrote:
But I still can't wait to get these Iridium's broken in so I can crank it up, man it's nice to have quality equipment for once...
It's a fallicy... Crank 'em now! My volume control is WFO from the day I install stuff! It's like breaking in an engine. Wide open is better for it than babying it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Well, before I can go cranking it, I have to get it tuned. I think my DCX is clipping now that I have played with it again, cause I know the mids shouldn't be breaking up at at 3/4 volume level now. I still have to play with it some more.

And the Seas 27TFFNC/G's are textile dome's, supposedly they are way more layed back than the metals...

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

My H/U is an Alpie CDA-9831, that feeds into my PPI DCX-730(active biotch!), which then runs the front stage and currently the substage as well. No rear-fill as of now...

The 2 mid's above are powered by a MA Audio Hard KORE 2ch [URL=" http://www.maaudio.com/product.jhtm?id=3&cid=12"](this one)[/URL]that I have had for a year or 2, so it will work for now. Not on the same level as the mids, I know; but the budget won't allow for any Zapco pieces right now. When I mess with it tomorrow, I am going to try and bridge it and run the mids paralell since they have single 6ohm coils each. This should load the amp at 3 ohms. It should be ok, as the amp is advertised as 1ohm stereo/2ohm mono stable. We'll see...

As for my crap tweets; I may try and run them off the H/U for now, or I also have an Orion Cobalt 2ch [URL=" http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Orion-Orion-CO100-2-200-Watt-Power"](Like this one, but a CS not CO; same power & s/n ratio though)[/URL] that I got for free brand new I may try and power them with for now. The Alpine has x-over and t/a, so I may not need anything else on the tweeters for now until I get some better ones.

As I said, no rear fill; but the sub stage is alright. It will definately keep up with the front :). 2 Earthquake DBX-12's mounted in a custm ported box I built using WinSD, tuned to 31hz. I am alos in the process of making a face for the box so that it looks like part of the trunk; I know it looks like ass right now, but it sounds ok for what the subs are. The whole inside of the box has been braced, sealed and coated w/ rubberized undercoating, for what it's worth. There's just no sense in me doing up the whole trunk now, when I want to get good amps and put them on display underneath the false floor I'll make when I get them.

The amp I have pushing those is the only piece of equipment I really HATE having in my car. I know it's not putting down that much power.[URL=" http://www.crutchfield.com/S-407lgg11F5G/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=037A8000T"]Audiobahn A8000T[/URL]. I got this off a friend for cheap when he needed money, so it's what I have for now. "Supposedly" 800w RMS X 1 @ 2ohms, which is what I'm running it at; both single 4ohm 12's in paralell. I have had it for almost 2 years now and it has yet to shut off or give me any problems. And I push my systems. But I know it's garbage, so no bashing needed.

haemphyst 
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
greenbroncoguy wrote:
My H/U is an Alpie CDA-9831, that feeds into my PPI DCX-730(active biotch!)
Do you REALLY wanna go there?
Just kidding ya, but be careful... (referring exclusively to the "active biotch" part) Lots of us have systems that'd dump yours.   dls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp -- posted image. Sure we probably spent more than we had to, (guilty as charged) and more than you did, but still...
greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2007 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
greenbroncoguy wrote:
My H/U is an Alpie CDA-9831, that feeds into my PPI DCX-730(active biotch!)
Do you REALLY wanna go there?
Just kidding ya, but be careful... (referring exclusively to the "active biotch" part) Lots of us have systems that'd dump yours.   dls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp -- posted image. Sure we probably spent more than we had to, (guilty as charged) and more than you did, but still...

That's not what I was trying to get at when I posted that, but thanxdls iridium 6.3’s, ma audio hard kore amp -- posted image. 

All's I meant was that I thought it was cool to finally be active and get away from the crap I have always run. And it's not like a DCX is high-dollar gear anyway...

Me= not going to try and compete w/ peoples on here that have way more invested in the systems than I have in my car. Not to mention ya'll do it for a living...

greenbroncoguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

I did some tuning today; got rid of most of the hiss from the DCX-730 and all my alt wine is gone now.

I must say, I think time delay is about the most important thing I did today, aside from getting rid of the noise. I used my subs as the farthest drivers, and delayed everything else to them; now they are integrated much better and the bass comes from all around and not just from behind.

I think I have the x=overs and eq about right, but I may still need to d some more; I can't really tell becuase I had the volume up loud and now my ears are al little off :)

Tuning is where it's at, kids...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic