icon

extreme wattage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
hey if you don't wanna upgrade and just add batteries be my guest....im not stopping you.
Go ahead and fry your equipment because of your ignorance.
I was only trying to add some info so YOU could figure out what you need for a high current system
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2007 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

guys i am sorry ur wrong. a 250amp alt with 2 good batterys will be fine for daily driving 3k rms with. our 05/06 comp car had a 200amp powermaster alt with 2 optima group 34s (small batts) and could be driven down the road with music full tilt and stay above 13v. this was with over 5000rms.  at night time it would dip just above 12v (headlights).

music has peak and wont draw max current very often. it is not like he will be playing tones for mins... 

mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
anzboi sorry if you're confused. i wasn't being ignorant in any way that i can see unless you call a sarcastic joke being ignorant. but thanks for the info anyway.
so one of you says its okay to run a 200 amp alternator with 2 batteries and its all good but some of the others say i need a rather large alternator.
who do i listen to?
aznboi3644 
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
it will work...but head room is your friend
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
I ran into the same problem your having with a truck I had. I was running a couple of 10" Orion HCCA subs with a 2500watt Orion HCCA running each and there is a fine line between what you can get away with and what you should be running. I ran a 200amp alternator with two yellow top Optima batteries and it would work, sure... but when blasting the volume at night time going less than 50mph with the air conditioning on, the lights blink on and off quite nicely. Keep in mind, I had the volume a little higher than it might have needed to be, for more than a couple of minutes... Upgraded to 250amp alternator and didn't have any problems... basically what everyone is trying to say is get the biggest amperage alternator that your wallet and vehicle can take. I've always believed that its best to have more power on tap than not enough.
Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
so i'm looking at a 350 amp alternator to be within tech specs and to give me some room to deal with.
and would it be necessary to buy two batteries if i had a 350 amp alternator?
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
I don't see anything about an alternator bigger than 250 amps, and i've been reading around about alternators and what do you guys think of dual alternators? it seems pretty logical.
would it be possible to have my stock alternator powering my stock battery powering all my stock electrical things (headlights, etc.) while the second maybe 250 amp alternator powering a separate batt. just for the amplifiers? or what about dual high output alternators with more batteries?
i'm sure other people have thought about this before me.
aznboi3644 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Dual alts will for sure be a good idea if you can't get a single huge one.
I'd just wire both alts to the front battery then run one, two, or three 0 gauge wires to the back batteries
mcben789 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

does anyone know how i should set this up?

i know they have the kit for the dual alternator, but the kit i was looking at came with an 160 amp alternator just to add to your factory alt.  should i buy a h.o. alt to add to my factory or two h.o.'s?

also what would i do about the battery situation?  two red tops / YELLOW tops?  the more the merrier?

i imagine doing this would be less expensive than a 300+ amp alternator.  i don't think they even make alternators that big for my car...anyways what i'm wondering is how to hook up the batteries?  under the hood? in the trunk? daisy chain etc..

thanks.

jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
If you can get 2 identical 150+amp alternators and 2 Redtops, you'll be good to go. 2 200ampers would be nice, too. extreme wattage - Page 2 -- posted image.extreme wattage - Page 2 -- posted image.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic