icon

noise, amp problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5kwatts 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
i got two 15's audiopipe speakers and a 2000watt pyrmid amp and when i start my truck theres a humming noise comming from the subs and when i give the truck gas the noise gets a higher pitch i checked all of the wiring and seems to be all correct..............also i have the amp bridged at a 2ohm load and its stable at 2ohms and i cant turn my gain or bass up passed 1/4 or it will go into protection mode any ideas ???? thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Your noise issue sounds like a bad ground.  Read the grounding sticky posts.  Your gain should be set to match the output from your head unit.  Is it? 

Pyramid is door-stop-quality trash, so it is also possible you are expecting more out of it than it can give.  2000 Pyramid watts = about 200 real watts.

Support the12volt.com
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
usually when you get an alternator hum through your subs the amp ground is bad, the amp is bad (pyramids are cool as long as they house mummys in egypt, un cool if they are in a car...read not the highest of quality) and since it is usually a high pitch noise, it sounds like your amp settings are all wrong.  Are you bridging a 2ohm load? if so the amp is seeing a 1 ohm load. I don't know exactly what 1/4 is on your amp. you can't effectivly set gains by where on the dial you are turning it to. 
csnut18 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Why don't you just buy a good quality brand? They really don't cost that much these days.
5kwatts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
yea i kinda figured it was the amp i moved the ground a few times and its still making the noise......also i was wondering is it safe to get a 3000watt amp and run it with my 15s??? they are 2000watt maxx each but are only 1000rms
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds a LOT like a pioneer head unit.  Is it?
5kwatts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  
yes it is......is that why i am getting this problem??
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
There have been many posts on here about Pioneer RCA ground issues. You will need to ground the outer part of RCA to the same ground that your radio is hooked up to. That should take the hum away. I do agree with past posters that Pyramid amps are not high end and they exaggerate the wattage they produce. I would save up some cash and buy a better amp with a cleaner output.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

It is a very good chance that your pioneer radio has lost it's ground reference on the RCA cable.  To see if this is your problem you will need a short length of 18Ga. wire.  Strip both ends of the wire  attatch one end to a good ground.  And touch the other end to the outer part of the RCA cable.  The shiny metal piece that you can see when the cable is plugged into the radio.  It should make a pop noise and then the noise should go away.  If this fixes your problem you can solder the wire to the RCA cable and problem solved.

5kwatts 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

should this fix my problem with my gain and bass controls on the amp???

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic