icon

Won’t Stay Running

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PimpP495 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Im Installing an remote start on a 96 cavalier, I connected all the wires as instructed by an DEI print out. I installed an bypass module for the alarm. The car starts, but cuts off. What else do I need to look at.
Thank You......
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2003 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
what bypass module did you use for the passlock I anti-theft system? The older bypass modules I got never once worked on a chevy cavalier with a passlock 1. I guess it was just one of those things, so I had to use relays and a trimpot. The passlock bypass is likely your problem. Did you get a good tach wire too?
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2003 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
make sure you have no shut off inputs to the alarm (ie hood pin ,brake ,netral safety,ets check alarm dioganastics if it has it to know what shut it down. reset the tach learning also so you know it is not that try to remote start the car with thE key in the ignition to see if it starts or do a takeover mode on the alarm while the car is running with the key and see what happens good luck.
PimpP495 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2003 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I used an Design tech universal alarm bypass module.
mobileinstallat 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2003 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
after you follow mobiletechs advice above, I would do this: get rid of the designtech bypass mod and use a resistor. the adjustable resistor in the design tech mod changes resistance with temp and will drive you nuts.
dont do a permenant bypass, use a relay so the resistor only goes inline when in remote start mode. this way if your measurments or the resistor changes with temp , your car will still start with the key.
Mark
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Any bypass device that you have to adjust yourself is junk; ditch it and get a good quality self-learning module instead, something like the DEI 555L. Or like mobileinstallat says, make your own interface with a resistor and relay.
Nevertheless, back to your problem...you shouldn't blame your Passlock bypass just yet, at least without further troubleshooting.
After the car starts up and dies, is the Security light on the dash flashing? If so, your Passlock bypass is likely to blame. If the light came on and then went off as normal, your bypass should be okay.
Start the car with the key, set the remote starter to "pit stop" mode, and turn the key off and remove it. Does the car stay running now? If so, this means your tach connection and ignition wires are likely to be good; reinspect Passlock. If the car still dies when doing the above, check the rest of your install first.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2003 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
you should feel confident that your problem is your bypass. However, if your security light functions normally as chris said, then your problem may be in the tach signal. if your anti-theft light flashes though, then it is your bypass. When you test the resistence make sure you reverse the leads on the DMM and use the higher of the 2 readings. Buy a resistor within a few percent of the reading and buy a low tolerance resistor as well. There is actually more room for varience in these systems than I have just suggested, but the closer the better. I use trimpots so I can dial in the resistence exactly. Once you have the proper resistor though, wire it up using a relay.
There really isnt a quick way to test the rest of your install like you can with a transponder based anti-theft device where you can just put the key in the ignition and it will work. With the passlock, the key needs to be turned to the on position to get send the resistence to the ECM, and all of the RS units I have ever heard of do not attempt to start when the key is in the ignition. The quick stop mode is a decent idea but is not necessarily conclusive if it works.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic