the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

tweeter magnet and crossover

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know about that.  I see inductors on the same plane 1 or 2 inches away from each other all the time.  If one of the inductors was standing on end (90 degrees), that would be fine.  But that would also cause the overall size of the crossover to be larger (more height), which would result in more cost in manufacturing and delivery.  That is why I suppose the coils are left lying flat next to each other.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, so then it is good to have coils 90* of one another? Is that about it?

I'm upgrading my door speakers. I'm putting in 5.5" woofers via an inductor and i'm placing the tweeter next to it via the included 12dB xovers inline for them. I can just mount the l/p coil and the h/p coil/cap basically anywhere behind the speaker -as long as all coils are 90* of each other, or does it not really matter?

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

Give 4 or 5 inches as a safe distance if coils are mounted in the same plane.  If at 90 degrees, they can be closer.  You have plenty of room in a car install for crossovers.  The crossovers for both my front door speakers are in the glove compartment.  You have plenty of room so just secure the crossover components several inches away from each other anywhere you want.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
jmelton86:  As haemphyst explained to me recently, a static inductor (voice coil) won't affect a dynamic inductor (crossover coil), or vice versa.  They can be placed closely and oriented on the same plane.
I think I said that a static magnetic field (the magnet in the speaker, not the coil of wire that is the voice coil) won't affect a dynamic magnetic field (the inductor in the crossover). That is why it is OK to place your crossover immediately behind, or in close relationship to, the motor structure of most midrange or tweeter components. Even most woofers won't be able to generate the necessary field from the voice coil to affect a nearby inductor.
However, the voice coil, if rediculously powered enough, (WAY up in the hundreds of watts range) COULD conceiveably generate enough field the escape the bounds of the motor structure, and affect the field of a nearby crossover inductor. That'd be about all you have to worry about. The 4 or 5 inches referenced by stevdart above will be sufficient in 99+% of your applications.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic