the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

side jobs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
For those of you who work for an actual company, how many of you do side jobs? I am constantly getting friends, and friends of friends who are asking me to do side jobs, but although Im confident in my installations, I do not feel comfortable doing side jobs. There are just so many factors that can go wrong, even if you are being extra careful, and to me that liability just plain isnt worth it to me.
Opinions?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

You need to choose your battles. Do the work that will get the dollars..... and work you will have little to worry about!

PLUS the time factor.... this is a problem I have, my time off of work, I don't wish to spend it all under the dash of a car, or something like that. Thats why they call it "time off"

offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
either way, circuit city doesnt exactly look kindly to completing side jobs... lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
cwwlv 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
at the cc i was at they had no problems with us doing side work if it was jobs that co wouldnt do
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

I mainly do side jobs for friends. I like to keep it basic too. Decks, speakers, those kinds of things. I will do alarms occasionally, but the price people expect to pay and what I want is usually a bit off.

I remeber doing a few side jobs while I worked circuit doodiety, I am sure if they knew I would have been fired.

I recently did a side job on a large boat. It was a pain in the ass. I brought as much gear as I could fit in my bag, and I still forgot small things, like certain termianls. The time I spent running back and forth was not worth the pay. Like KarTuneMan said, choose your battles wisely.

ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

well, do it like this. buy the install with your AP, or company discount, & then scedule the job in & charge you freind what ever you want. this way it is somewhat legit.

On the flip side, most box stores don't do what my friends want, fiberglass & big custom stuff, so pick yer battles, & make it worth your while. & just cause they ask, don't mean you have to say yes. & take what you think you should charge & double it. example CD deck, $50ish in most shops charge em $100.

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

offroadzj if you are not comfortable with doing side jobs just dont do them

sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

My remote start still isn't done on my bike, my satalite radio is still sitting in the garage and not my wife's car...

No time for my jobs, much less side jobs. Do you honestly think that xbox 360 is going to play itself?

kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
My circuit doesn't mind jobs that are done while we are off the clock. I've done managers friends cars while on the clock so it depends on the store. Personally I hate side jobs because they will call you for every little problem. That alone makes me not to want to do side jobs.
offroadzj 
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
thats prety much how i feel about it. I get enough people through circuit city that come in with every little problem their car has and the dealer said it was the r/s... so I would hate to have to deal with that on my own. Classic example: Last winter I did a r/s or my good friend's grandmother. Well about a week later I get a call that the car died, and the grandmother said she smelled a burning smell and saw smoke. I ended u having to go to her house at about 12am to look at it, and when i got there his grandfather says "someone is gonna pay to have this fixed", which didnt help the fact that i was already nervous as hell about it. Turns out the r/s was perfectly fine. I spent about 2 hours looking at it and finally found that the positive battery terminal had broken inside the battery... nothing at all to do with the r/s. Definately a scary situation (his grandfather was quite a large guy, and not that old... probably could have easily kicked my ***.. lol)
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic