icon

problem with radio after remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
b-roy 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

A customer came to my shop and had a compustar starter installed in a 96 malibu. The customer has since come back with the complaint that some of the buttons on the radio no longer light up.  For example, pre sets # 2 and 5 light up, but the others do not. The rest of the dashlights work. The fuses are good, parklights work. Only some of the buttons on the deck no longer light up.

Am I wrong in coming to the conclusion that this is an internal problem with the radio and happened coincidently around the same time the starter was installed? She is of course looking to me to do something. Everything I understand dictates that this would be the above stated situation, but I have seen weird things happen before and wanted to get some other input.

Thanks

ibasspro 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

does this only happen on RS? if you unplug the alarm brain does it work ok?

I am assuming it is a factory radio, & just let her know, the poor thing has done it's time....it outlasted the tires the car came with, the vehicle warranty, it even saw y2k, so it is time to lay it to rest & get this neat new one we have with all these cool features (bling off the tooth)

Does she ave an old battery where cranking voltage goes low? that may be the cause, as when RS the dash lights are on , so radio lights are lit, & low voltage on old parts=little puffs of smoke

or perhaps installer got ign. & acc wires backward, so radio is on while actually cranking in RS?

sell her a new radio, install it for free, but charge more than usual on the kit harness & antenna adapter ;)

used to be loud, used to be fast...now I am married LOL
b-roy 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

The lights are non functional in, whether remote started or started with the key. Problem is she claims it happened immediately after the install. I politely tried to explain to her, using light bulbs as an example, that if some of the bulbs are burnt out, but the others still work, then the circuit, switches, connections etc still function and that the problem lies with the bulbs ( in this case the lighting for these radio buttons). I'm not sure if she is going to accept in anyway I explain  that this is not the problem of the remote start.

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
common problem on GM radios. as well as the volume going on the fritz too (turn volume down but it max's out or barely changes at all)
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
The light bulbs in the deck burnt out.  If I remember there are 11 bulbs on the face, between buttons and display.  Just bad luck that she noticed after.  She could hit a bump and some might come back on (not likely).
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
11 years and now they burn out. I say just a coincidence it happened after RS being put in.
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
radio & park lights maybe integgrated .
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
rfwave wrote:
radio & park lights maybe integgrated .
Original post said the lights on radio didn't work and the parking lights did work so they probably are not integrated.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
last year I had this same problem on approx. a dozen different cars. For some reason the r/s was burning out select bulbs.... most likely the bulbs were already weak, and the r/s just finished them off. I have yet to find out why it happened, but I always pull the parking light fuse on the r/s and remote start it a couple times before putting the fuse back in just to be safe.
HTH
kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  
Oh give me £10 for every time I've come across this type of COINCIDENCE and please don't quote pre-install check lists, how would you see it in the day time anyway?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic