icon

what is waterboard?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

I checked out a book at a library a few days back titled "Custom Auto Interiors" by Don Taylor and Ron "The Stitcher" Mangus.  The book has a date of 1998.  So far, Ive read through certain sections that interested me, which caused me to cross "Waterboard". 

They describe it as a waterproof panelboard.  In the 1930's to 1950's, it was used for all paneling - OEM and aftermarket.  They claim its greatest advantage was the ability to be sewn.  Its disadvantage was, that is was really not very waterproof.  After several exposures to water, it would warp badly.

The illustrations and pictorials in this book shows them several times using it to form underdash panels and headliner sections. 

Is this waterboard just another name, or old school name for something we already know as some other name?  Is it just a thinner Masonite like material?

Thanks.

torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Heh, is this for real?  Nobody?!    0 out of 32, wow!

Well, I guess since nobody knows, it means were young.

bondo-boy 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
was it called eucaboard(this brown 1/8 flexible wood from the depot)perfect for trim panels but warps with any moisture
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
  never heard of it but im interested.....maybe ask an "ole timer" carpenter or  something
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Are you sure you aren't referring to waferboard?
what is waterboard? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Almost forgot about this thread....

Well, I know what waferboard is, but according to the book I had referenced above, it looks more like brown posterboard but thicker, more to the likes of Masonite...but its neither.

Im just going to accept the fact that its the lesser of our modern methods and just continue doing what I do, because posterboard is too weak, and Masonite is way thicker that this "waterboard", and both are worthless in comparison to "waterboard".

I have one other person to ask, an upholsterer, Ill share his input.  Thanks for the replies.

boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
   you might be refering to upholstery board its as you desribed brown posterboard type but thicker..im confident that is it ..i for example cut tribal designs out of it spray adhesive it to a raw enclosure and vinyl over it ..works good for that type of project

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic