icon

reccomendation for add on remote start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tommyk203 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen two primary add-on remote starters.  a code alarm 410 and the directed 561t.  I have a 2005 ford explorer.  i want to use my factory remotes.  I've read that (at least with the 561t) that once you remote start the car, you cant open the car with the remote, thats definitley a negative.  I also am looking for a reccomendation on a system to bypass the pats system.  i've installed remote starters in he past, but never with PATS.  any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Its not the remote start that makes the OEM remotes stop working. Its how the car's BCM is programmed. Fortunately for you, your Ford OEM remote will work when the ignition is on...which means it will work when you remote start.
Bigger question is...why would you want a remote start that only has the crappy range that the factory remotes have? Buy a system with good range, hook up the door locks and hatch release, and stop carrying the Ford remotes. Its actually easier to connect the locks and hatch release than trying to control an aftermarket remote starter with the OEM remote.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  
I tell the customer to keep the factory remote safe as a back up!
tommyk203 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.  I've noticed that many people have made suggestions in other posts to get an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry, primarrily for the range.  I just thought putting a remote start add on would be easier because my 05 explorer already had keyless entry.  If i decide to put a complete aftermarket system in replace of the factory system, is there anything special i have to do to disable the factory system or integrat with the key transponder system?  thanks aain for your help.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  

The bottom line is will your factory remote unlock and lock the doors from a distance far enough away that you would want the remote start to work? The Ford remotes do have relatively good range so this may be the case. If so then you can do an add on RS and get the range you desire so go ahead. We do them all the time and rarely do we get a complaint on range from a Ford. As mentioned, the remotes will still work when the RS is on so that's not an issue. As for bypassing the Pats, i like the DEI 556sw. It's an easy install and programs simply.

As for units to use, i like the Pursuit AS9076, but it may be the same as the Code Alarm unit as they are both made by Avox...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
tommyk203 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
can someone please point me to some information regarding to connecting a bypas module (perhaps 555 or any other reccomendation) for my 2005 ford explorer to a 561t.  thanks!
chris015 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2007 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I am actually in a very similar situation as tommyk, except my Explorer is 04. Can anyone advise on connecting the 555 or 556? Thanks!
Tommyk - have you found any additional info you could share?
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
The 05 and 04 are exactly the same. If you using a key required bypass like the 556u(w), please make sure the key has been programed.
reccomendation for add on remote start? - Last Post -- posted image.
You can pull the bottom of the steering wheel cover off after removing 2 screws. to the left you will find your ignition switch wires, which with the battery disconnected you can unplug for easier access.
Get the antenna ring of the bypass around the ignition switch tumbler like in the pics below
On the bypass connect the red to 12v, black to ground, and blue to the blue status output of the alarm.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic