icon

3 subs, 500 watts rms each, what amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wolf56 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2007 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
im looking towards buying a tri 12" box for $50 this weekend, and im less concerned about the subs, knowing there gonna be 500 watts rms since i dont want extreme power, but my noticable issue is the amp to power them. currently i have 1 12" koiiler 500 watts rms, being powered by a "1600"watt sony amp.
but im getting a 1000 watt rms xtant amp, i may even get it free, im just wondering, would the xtant power all 3 or would i need to use the sony for one of the others and the xtant for 2? the whole amp powering multiple subs is something i havent been able to find out about
so would this 1000 watt rms amp be able to power 3 500 watt rms subs? logically i think no, but i really dont know and want to learn. part of me thinks yes though, but i was only in 1/2 semester of electronics
and kinda forgot most of what i learned, but i thought current increases but the voltage doesnt, so wouldnt the amp just overheat easier? or does multiple subs cut the voltage down?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Whoa, whoa, whoa...   WAAAAAYYY overthinking this... (and by the way, 1500 watts IS extreme power... Any electronics student should know that 770 watts is one horsepower, so you are talking about ALMOST 2HP! 3 subs, 500 watts rms each, what amp? -- posted image. I'd call that extreme power.)
What woofers are you using? What impedance are they? Can you wire all three of them to provide a safe load for the Xtant amplifier?
As far as powering three woofers, you can power 12 THOUSAND woofers off a 50 watt amplifier, as long as you make certain the impedance lands within the safe load carrying capabilities of the amplifier. Typically, and with nearly ALL car amplifiers, that means between 1 and 4 ohms. The Xtant gear was safe to 2 ohms per channel, I think. You can load with a higher impedance, but the amplifier will just make less power.
What woofers are you using, and what impedance are they? Let us know a COUPLE things, at least... 3 subs, 500 watts rms each, what amp? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

sry for not saying what they are im hopefully getting the amp this weekend, and im for surely getting 2 12" alpine type-rs, the impedence of them idk, i use to have 2 b4 they were stolen and they were wired to 2 ohms each though

so basically if i wire the subs to 2 ohms and the amp does 1000x1 at 2 ohms rms, then i should have the amp at 1/2 power? would i have to worry about it overheating or should it do that just fine and have no problems

so 500 watts rms can power an infinite amt of subs as long as the subs stay within the amps impedence limits??? what about overheating

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
The overheating issue occurs when you overload it. An amplifier doesn't know how many speakers it is connected to, it only knows what the load is. As long as the load is "safe", no matter how many drivers are connected to it, it won't overheat... It can't.
Is you amplifer a stereo amp or a mono amp?
If mono, your best bet is 2 DVC 2 ohm woofers, which you can wire series/parallel for 2 ohms.
If stereo, your best bet is 2 DVC 4 ohm woofers, which you can wire series/parallel for 4 ohms, then bridge the amp to, for a net load of 2 ohms per channel.
Other options exist, but without knowing which woofers EXACTLY you are getting, and without knowing whether the amp is stereo or mono, I'm grasping at straws, here. I also forgot you were going to be using three woofers. In that case I REALLY need to know all of the above requested info. EXACT woofers, and stereo or mono amp...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=145
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
the amps mono, and ok, haemphyst u answered my question lol, a little more technically but answered it very well none the less, so if i hook my subs up to the amp ill have to turn the amp down a bit even if theres 2 subs
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
sory for double post... but im iffy on running 3 subs, im looking towards 2 alpine type-rs at the moment, and i cant get ahold of the lady with the xtant so im stuck with my 1600 watt sony, it says it'll do 900x1 at 2 ohms bridged rms, but i doubt its that powerful, but it should power them if i wire them to 2 ohms, right?
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, if you can get whichever woofers you choose to 2 ohms, that amp will make its maximum amount of power.
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2007 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
alrighty cool, also having a issue with my deck, and i know its the deck, im discussing it in my other topic though
wolf56 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
alrighty i got my 2 type-rs and there in a ported box, i also have the box for 3 12" subs too, i have 3 subs but the other sub is a 12" koiiler dvc 500rms/1000peak
so if i put the type-rs and koiiler in the tri box it would be loud and nice and look even better, BUT the box isnt chambered, its one big sealed box,
my rough diagram of the box
.    .   .
.    .   .             
   \      /
    \..../
its got that shape and theres a middle support board going up the middle, i could chamber it but i dont want to risk messing the box up
so would the subs be able to work together in a 1 chambered box, or no?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic