icon

fuse problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5kwatts 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
ok i got it i had it wired for 1ohm mono with 2 subs...............but my amp came with two 45amp fuse's......would it be ok to throw in two 30s and put a 45 in the power cable??
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Had you been reading posts on advice?
Take the two fuses and add. 45 amp fuse + 45 amp fuse = 90 amps total + 10 amps over = 100 amp fuse in an appropriate fuse type and fuse holder. (ANL fuse and fuse holder shown below) Also as noted before, change power and ground wire to appropriate size. Last of all, wire the subs differently. Here is a good site for speaker wire calculation. Speaker wire calculator
fuse problems - Page 2 -- posted image.fuse problems - Page 2 -- posted image.
Scosche 100 watt amp kit
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

5kwatts wrote:
ok i got it i had it wired for 1ohm mono with 2 subs...............but my amp came with two 45amp fuse's......would it be ok to throw in two 30s and put a 45 in the power cable??

Please read the replies you have already gotten.  This is starting to feel like a troll thread and is headed for a lock.

Here's your bottom line:

• NEVER change the size of fuse that comes installed in an amp
  • ALWAYS use large enough power and ground wire to support the current the amp is designed to draw
  • ALWAYS use a fuse large enough to protect the power wire (see the power and ground links to the left)
  • Your amp will be destroyed by a 1-ohm load.  This is probably why it is blowing fuses. 
  • With two 4-ohm DVC woofers, wire each one for 2-ohms (voice coils in parallel) and connect each woofer to its own channel of your amp (wire in stereo, not bridged)
  • If you do not understand this or you do not know how to do this, take your car and all your gear to the nearest car audio shop and seek help.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
watts...
1. Your amplifier DOESN'T make as much power as it claims to. Period.
2. You CAN'T run it bridged into 2 ohms. Period.
3. Even if number 1, above, is the case, your power wire is too small. YOU SHOULDN'T USE A #12 TO POWER AN AMPLIFIER. Period.
4. The underhood fuse is to protect the car, not the amplifier, and its capacity is based on the WIRE IT IS PROTECTING. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RATINGS OF THE FUSES IN THE AMPLIFIER. Put that notion out of your head RIGHT NOW. Period.
So. Those FACTS being laid out for you, here is what you MUST do:
1. Rewire the woofers for a safe load, 2 ohms or higher for stereo mode, and 4 ohms or higher for bridged mode.
2. Run a larger power wire, at LEAST number 8 from your battery to your amplifier.
3. Protect that wire with a fuse, based upon ITS size, using the following chart:
#8 - 100A
#6 - 120A
#4 - 150A
#2 - 225A
#0 - 350A
4. And finally, for PETE'S sake, PLEASE buy some good equipment.
5. Let someone who knows what they are doing install your gear, you're gonna lose a car, if you keep up like this.
You HAVE to understand (at least a little bit) what you are doing BEFORE you start playing with car amplifiers. They're high current devices, and require special installation considerations. PLEASE learn a bit about electronics before you burn your car to the ground!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
Wow... Great minds think alike, although I think you worded yours a little nicer, DYohn! fuse problems - Page 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
fuse problems - Page 2 -- posted image. Thanks and Yep!  Although I do wish I had included your line about burning the car to the ground, as sometimes that's all kids understand.  That and "More BASS!"
Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Don't you guys wish you were back in retail again? LOL
There is no such thing as free installation!
DYohn 
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Don't you guys wish you were back in retail again? LOL

I'd probably go broke in 6 months by talking kids out of buying high-margin garbage.

Support the12volt.com
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
I talked three people out of buying caps today...Fortunatly for my wallet,  three other people listened to their friends over me and bought caps.
5kwatts 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
i finally got everything working in the blazer thanks for you help..........but now everytime the bass hits my speedo bounce's.......is this normal??
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic