icon

08 silverado crew cab, avic d3

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
08silverado 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

ok here does my questions: this all revolves around a Pioneer Avic D3 installation

1. i am installing a Sirius tuner for the d3, i am going to use the XM antenna.  my question is, what are the wires and there function on the harness from the XM tuner behind the glovebox?

2. im wanting to use the 12v switched line from the factory harness.  will this line provide enough jiuce to power all my accessories (sirius tuner, PAC OS-3, PAC SWI-PS, avic head unit, bluetooth module)?  if it will not, how can i increase this line?

3. can someone direct me to where to locate the VSS and reverse wire.  along with GPS, ill be running a reverse cam.  along this same line, does the d3 allow manual operation to view the rear view camera?

i think thats it for now.  i appreciate your help in advance.

Troy

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

First off, that vehicle does not have an accy wire at the radio. The radio uses a LAN system in the car to turn on and off. The wiring harness you need to buy for this, will integrate the truck's LAN system and provide you an accy wire. I believe most of those modules are rated somewhere around 10 amps of current. Personally, I would use a relay to provide you with a higher current output to the accessories you mentioned. 

Most of these modules will also provide you with a vss wire and reverse wire, since those too are part of the LAN system.  Check it out here :

http://documents.victorytechnologies.com//documents/product/GMOS-LAN-01.pdf

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Metra-Metra-Gmos-Lan-01-Gm-Onstar-Lan-Data-Bus-Interface

08silverado 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  

mobile1,

i am using a PAC OS3 module.  can you or someone guide me as so how to hookup a relay for more current?  also let me understand something, the accessory wire on the d3 that is hookup thru the OS3 is still the LAN wire? or it re-routed to become a accy wire?  i really appreciate all your help. 

mobile1 wrote:

First off, that vehicle does not have an accy wire at the radio. The radio uses a LAN system in the car to turn on and off. The wiring harness you need to buy for this, will integrate the truck's LAN system and provide you an accy wire. I believe most of those modules are rated somewhere around 10 amps of current. Personally, I would use a relay to provide you with a higher current output to the accessories you mentioned. 

Most of these modules will also provide you with a vss wire and reverse wire, since those too are part of the LAN system.  Check it out here :

http://documents.victorytechnologies.com//documents/product/GMOS-LAN-01.pdf

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Metra-Metra-Gmos-Lan-01-Gm-Onstar-Lan-Data-Bus-Interface

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

for the relay:

pin 85 = accy wire from the PAC OS3

pin 86 = ground

pin 87 = 12v+

pin 30 = the "new" accy wire to power everything.

The LAN system is a computerized system in the truck. The Pac OS3 takes the data information and "decodes" the information to give you an accy output. the wire in the car is still a data line, but the output from the module is now an accy.

08silverado 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  

mobile1,

thank you for all your help.  i still have questions unanswered. 

the PAC OS3 does not have the VSS and reverse wire intergrated.  so can someone explain the best place to pick these up?

also, does the D3 manually allow you to switch to the rear view camera?

thanks again,

Troy

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

I do lots of these trucks. First, you can use your XM antenna by removing the plastic section of the plug. After that it will plug right into your Sirius. You don't need any of the factory wires there, run the power and buss cable to the radio and connect there.

Second, The Pioneer components don't need accessory power, just battery and ground. I have never had an issue using the power supplied from the OS3 for any stuff i connect, but if you feel you need to you could get a battery source from the left fuse box and let a relay switch it from the OS3.

There is a very easy place to get VSS. Look under the drivers dash and remove the plastic cover on the junction box. Unclip the junction box and pull it out. Twisting it just right you can flip it over to reveal the back. In the large center plug there is a GREEN / WHITE wire(it's the only one in the center plug). Thats it!

As for reverse, Directtechs says you can get it inside the truck at the BCM but it's not there on most Silverado's. I've been having to go under the hood for it. Look next to the fuse box for the large loomed harnees running under the truck. It's a thicker light green wire in there.

As for the reverse camera question i can't remember but i think so. I know for sure the Z2 does....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
08silverado 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Mike,

thanks for your input.  it is very helpful.  just for curiousity, can you possibly explain the wire on the xm tuner plug?  i understand i dont need them, but im just wondering if its something i can use????

again, thank you

Mike M2 wrote:

I do lots of these trucks. First, you can use your XM antenna by removing the plastic section of the plug. After that it will plug right into your Sirius. You don't need any of the factory wires there, run the power and buss cable to the radio and connect there.

Second, The Pioneer components don't need accessory power, just battery and ground. I have never had an issue using the power supplied from the OS3 for any stuff i connect, but if you feel you need to you could get a battery source from the left fuse box and let a relay switch it from the OS3.

There is a very easy place to get VSS. Look under the drivers dash and remove the plastic cover on the junction box. Unclip the junction box and pull it out. Twisting it just right you can flip it over to reveal the back. In the large center plug there is a GREEN / WHITE wire(it's the only one in the center plug). Thats it!

As for reverse, Directtechs says you can get it inside the truck at the BCM but it's not there on most Silverado's. I've been having to go under the hood for it. Look next to the fuse box for the large loomed harnees running under the truck. It's a thicker light green wire in there.

As for the reverse camera question i can't remember but i think so. I know for sure the Z2 does....

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
I' have no idea what the wiring is in that plug, never needed to know! My guess is one or two wires are LAN data, and of coarse power and ground....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
08silverado 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Mike,

what is the easiest way to remove the plastic plug on the XM antenna, without messing up the wire itself?

again, thanks for all your input.  it will come in handy when im ready to install, in about 2 weeks.  i have everything, just waiting to get some time off work.

thanks

Mike M2 wrote:
I' have no idea what the wiring is in that plug, never needed to know! My guess is one or two wires are LAN data, and of coarse power and ground....

Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
On the side of the plug there are two small holes with white inside. Take a pick and push in on the holes and the white plastic piece will slide out the other side. Totally remove the white plastic, then you can pull the wire out the end of the plug...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic