the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

aux output for sound system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey, has any1 used an aux of a remote start/alarm to operate a sound system before? like trigger a relay to power the accessories for an amp/deck? if so can you fill me in on how you did so? dont fell like testing then frying sumthing. thanks
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Use an aux output of your r/s alarm to trigger a relay that will then activate the system you want activated. ex.

You have and aux output that provides a (-) when activated. wire that up to a relay to change the polarity to 12v+ and boost the current, then tap it into your radio's accy wire. Your radio will now turn on when you activate this aux function. One thing to keep in mind is that if its a larger system, you vehicle will not be running and you will be draining your battery, so you won't want to play it for an extended amount of time.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
So you wish this to operate when the vehicle in OFF/
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
You wont be frying you will be cooking - your battery, if you set the output to timed, you get about 3 mins., if you latch it it  will be on permanently. A bad move.
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
i have an alarm that will have a 500ma max latched output. So just run that to a relat to switch 12v to acc wire to ruen on my deck and im good right? I dont mind about the time i run it. i have an amp/sub but they only 400 rms and i wont even run it that long. well thanks for the reply. have to find time u open up my radio and run some wires
boostingt 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
you need a latching relay to do this. i use to do that in the 80s with a vse alarm and it works perfect. you hit the button to turn on and hit again to turn off.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
I just put a Python 1400XPL in my personal truck, I swapped it from a 551T. I wanted to be able to turn the radio on and off with the aux channel. I set the Python to have the aux output as latched, reset with ignition. I powered the second accessory wire in the truck with the relay (this circuit is not required for remote start so I never powered it with the 551T). Yes, if I happen to leave it on too long it will kill the vehicle battery but being my own vehicle I am willing to take that risk. This was actually prompted by a family function recently. I turned on my system with the key to the accessory position to have music outside. After about 20 minutes I decided to remote start the truck then remembered that using a 555F the truck would see 2 pellets....meaning I could not remote start it with the key in the accessory position. I did not feel like going through the trouble of wiring up a relay to kill the 555F with the keysense wire. So, while swapping out the remote start I used the aux out in the same manner you are describing. I personally like it, just keep in mind that if running amplifiers with the vehicle off will not only kill the battery, it will stress the amplifiers.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
tedmond 
Posted: November 10, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
alright, thanks for the input everyone. My alarm does have a dedicated latched output, untill key in ingnition; so no need to get a latching relay, a normal relay should be fine for my application. time to rip apart my dash and run some wires, i know it will stress the batt, but i hope my caps can just keep less strain on my batt for a while. As u mentioned twelvolts, im willing to take a risk myself lol !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic