fiberglassing with a mold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sstrawsb 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Whats up guys,
Figured this the best place to ask this question. Im working on a 05 Scion tC. If anyone has ever seen where the spare tire is, there is a mold just like this one:
fiberglassing with a mold -- posted image.
This is one someone has has begun fiberglassing. This is exact thing im trying to accomplish. First off its my first time fiberglassing. Im actually working on two projects right now but thats not important.
My first problem with the mold was getting the resin to release from the mold. I used 3 layers of safe release painters tape. Still somehow some resin still leaked in. I think that was one major problem to get it to release from the mold. Is the tape supposed to release from the resin or no?
I guess this was my only real problem. I could not get the resin/fiberglass to release from the mold. I has to basically crack one corner to allow for me to wedge my hand underneath it and pry it out.
Next is the edges that hold up the top of the box that was made of mdf. Here is a picture of someone elses from the scion forum:
When i finally got my mold off those edges sadly didnt make it, haha. Im not to upset about it because this literally was my first time. Anyone got some helpful hints? Basically on how to release the mold. Also, I did 3 layers of resin then 2 layers of resin with the fiberglass before I tried to remove the mold. Was this correct?
Thanks everyone!
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2007 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
lay your tape down then spray adhesive the area and apply some foil, make sure the foil is as smooth as you can get it using a bondo spreader and or whatever else you have then apply mold release wax, pam, anything to keep the mold from sticking to your foil. once everything is cured it should be very easy to seperate the mold. but remember smoothness is key, take your time laying the foil. also go past the edge lines of your mold so that when you lay your glass the edges arent as brittle, then you can trim them down once its all cured.
git yer swerve on!
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
 swerve is correct car wax works as release agent  "paste wax" and is propably in your posession   vaseline also works but is messy 
sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
Update.....
Here are some pictures at the second take of the box. Went much much better this time. We used WD40 as a release agent. On with the pictures already!
Me trying to get it todry quicker to the 40 degree weather outside :(
Me again blow drying the box haha In the background is my buddy working on his box for his WRX.
Close up of the box about 2 layers of resin deep
Me gettin buck wild with the blow drying from those resin fumes
Taylor working on his try and glassing
little extra resin
This is both our first time doing so so give us a little slack lol. Let me know if you see anything I can do.
sstrawsb 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
just saw I dont have any pictures of the glass we layed down. We layed one full layer of glass down to let it dry for the night.
One more picture.. I thought id leave a smile on my buddys box while he wasnt watching, haha
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty new to the idea of fiberglassing, and i've been searching around on how to do it. Do you need to apply more than one layer of resin on top of the mat? And did you use just one layer of mat?
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  

You soak the resin into the mat and make sure that you do not have any bubbles in it. As for the number of layers, lay the layers and resin down until you have at least 1/2" thick walls on your project. If you are using a high powered sub/amp setup (say 500 rms+) I would get to 3/4" to keep the power well controlled. You can never be too strong, so be generous, but don't let flaws in (ie bubbles [your biggest strength killer])

and oh yeah.... HAVE FUN!

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic