icon

decreasing door lock speed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I don't know if this is a legitimate question or not, but I'll ask it anyway...
I installed the generic gun-type, two-wire door lock motors in my W123 Mercedes Benz. It had the vacuum-type central locking system, which worked very quietly and elegantly. However, it would've cost me more to try and repair the vacuum system than it was to replace it with an electric system. I also now have priority unlocking, which was impossible with the vacuum system.
In any case, although the new system works flawlessly, it operates rather viciously. I mean, it sounds like a shotgun firing every time the doors lock around me (ignition controlled door locks), and it's obvious the 0.8 second time interval that the control module sends a signal to the relays is probably three times longer than it actually takes the actuators to lock the doors.
What I'd like to know is this: is there any way that I can decrease their power output to somehow slow them down to about 0.8 seconds? I'm not certain whether I'd have to decrease voltage or current. Could I somehow implement resistors with the actuators, or something, or am I stuck with these über-quick locks?
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
You are stuck I'm afraid,  I rememember your pictures but I can't remember what make you were using. Usually Swiss MES are the quietest. I can't think of the circuitry but maybe a cap and resistor across the outputs might help,N.B.If you shorten the time you might lose the "correct pull" on the motors, the door might not lock or unlock properly. Incidentally I replaced the vac system and used a (simple) push start in my'84 /5 280CSE afew years ago for the same reasons, is nothing new?
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
howie II, aren't these gun-type motors basically all the same? The ones I installed are Raptors...for what it's worth.
The problem isn't with the motors that are noisy, but rather the locking rods that are slammed back and forth. I want to try and figure out if there isn't a way to pull and push the locking rods with less vigour - they don't have much resistance, they just need a gentle push and pull.
I have one of those cable operated window winder kits, and thought about butchering them to achieve the desired result. However, it seems as though the cables also move rather fast, defying the whole objective.
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 13, 2007 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

The Italian made Spall's are smooth and quiet. The sound explosions your hearing can be tempered with a bit of hi-dens foam. Bond it ti the area that the rod travels, on the door panal, as well as the door skin.

Also, finding the mecanical throw "sweet spot" on the lock rods can also help.......so the thing doesn't bottom out one direction, or the other, when activated

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic