icon

noise problem, whine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itsmejaytee 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i am getting this ridiculously annoying whinnying sound that is only heard with the engine on and gets louder with acceleration. at first i thought it was coming from under the hood but its actually coming through the speakers cause when i turn it off, the noise goes away.
Does anyone have any idea what can cause this?? and how can i fix this?. I am upgrading my signal wires and rca wires as of now to see what it would do. This problem came out of no where. Could it be a bad alternator?
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
We will need just a little bit more information. What kind of car do you have? What brand and model of radio do you have? If it is a pioneer, did you do a search for pioneer noise on this forum yet? What brand and model of amplifier? What is the amp mounted to? What is the amp grounded to? What gauge wire is being used? Is the power routed down the same side as the signal? Are the gains on the amp set to high? What questions did I forget to ask?   
jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2007 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
You can try a ground loop isolator if all the problems sarco said didnt work.....and I dont think you missed any questions sarco...
MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
  The key point here is the car didn't have the noise at first, "it came out of nowhere". For this reason you have to assume something changed. I would look for a broken or semi unplugged RCA.
There is no such thing as free installation!
itsmejaytee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
sarcomax wrote:
We will need just a little bit more information. What kind of car do you have? What brand and model of radio do you have? If it is a pioneer, did you do a search for pioneer noise on this forum yet? What brand and model of amplifier? What is the amp mounted to? What is the amp grounded to? What gauge wire is being used? Is the power routed down the same side as the signal? Are the gains on the amp set to high? What questions did I forget to ask?   
Ok i am ordering new monster rca wires and im going to redo my wiring the right way, i crimped them down with the female connectors, so now im going to solder them.
i have
Mazda 626 lx
Alpine deck (average)
crunch gp4150 amp for front and rear speakers
volfenhag zx7150 1800w max amp(i think?)
Yes i am running signal wires next to power.
Ground is connected to the vehicle's body.
umm "amp mounted too" ?? uhh volfenhag is mounted on top of my 15" kicker and crunch is mounted underseat.    - I am planning to remount the crunch in the trunk using a distributor block.
Another question i have. imagine the whine being rather high pitched and gets louder during acceleration. Would it damage my speakers??!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
First, did you see the advice from tcss?  Whenever you experience a change like that, something in your system has broken or a connection has been damaged or changed.  Troubleshoot all of your connections first as that's easiest.  Check RCAs, power and grounds.  Second, yes, your alternator could have taken a dump and caused this problem, but much more likely given the brands of amplifiers you've named is one of those is dying.  Volfenhag and Crunch are both flea-market quality disposable amps.  If they are more than 6 months old it is entierely likely one of them has died.  If all your connections and cables are still good, you may need to replace them both (at least go to a shop and get them tested.)
Support the12volt.com
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Whine... goes up and down with accelleration?  It's alternator noise.

Add ground loop isolators, re-ground your amps, etc. but that might not do it.  It might be your alternator's ground to the chassie.

Anyone ever get winshield wiper noise or turn signal noise?  Same thing, fixing your problem at the source is a better way.

Hardwarz

sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
When you get the new wiring done, let us know if the problem is still there. While you are waiting, you can run a cheap set of rca's from the deck to the amp and see if the noise is still there. If you hook up a full range speaker to the sub amp do you get the whine there too? Crunch amps have never been know for providing the cleanest of signals and have the life expectancy of a rat in a snake pit, so there is a possibility that it is going south. I missed the problem coming out of nowhere part from the original post. sorry bout that, my fingers are quicker than my eyes sometimes.
itsmejaytee 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Alright thnx for the advice. i shall look into that and get back to u guys with an update on this forum.
Man i wish i know more about car audio. I buy with a budget and i just compare the price and the stats of the product not knowing that the particular brand is garbage. So in the end i am really loosing more money huh lol damnit.
In the future i want to get a pair of Kicker 06S12L7-2     so what are a few good brand and model amps do you guys suggest?
jrod83 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

itsmejaytee wrote:
Alright thnx for the advice. i shall look into that and get back to u guys with an update on this forum.
Man i wish i know more about car audio. I buy with a budget and i just compare the price and the stats of the product not knowing that the particular brand is garbage. So in the end i am really loosing more money huh lol damnit.
In the future i want to get a pair of Kicker 06S12L7-2     so what are a few good brand and model amps do you guys suggest?

Have a soldering iron and heatshrink ready for those L7's.....I've had some in the past and i was never satisfied. The little wires always pop off. I eventually just extended the wire and it never happened again. It also happened to everyone i knew who had solobarics

MECP Certified
I am the loudest and proudest member of the Fighting Aggies Class of '11 WHOOP!
SAW 'EM OFF!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic