icon

gm navigation into a non nav vehicle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hurst01 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have purchased a new GM Nav unit complete with antenna and disc for 2008 Buick Enclave / Monte Carlo. I want to install this into a 1937 Cadillac street Rod. I see from other information I have found that the unit requires the use of a Bose Amp. I want to install six to ten speakers in this vehicle. Anyone have any information on an install such as this? Will an after market amp work? I also need connectors for the unit.
Thanks, Ed
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
 The bose radio will be the least of your problems, and no the aftermarket amp wo't work. Theris also no acc wire at the radio, the radio is controlled troght class 2 data on a gm, which is recognized by the BCM ( Body control module) Your best bet would be to n buy an aftermarket nav (kenwood,pioneer,alpine) You won't be able to power the Gm radio nav, it is car specific and it must be unlock.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Luis is correct. The newer GM radios are controlled via a LAN data bus within the vehicle. Brain surgery would be easier than trying to convert your rod into something that the factory Nav radio will work with. By all means, return the unit and buy a good aftermarket unit. It is easy to upgrade and will have more features.
sparky
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I must agree, very difficult if not totally impossible. Getting the unit to see data to just turn on would be a nightmare. Do yourself a favor and go aftermarket....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
hurst01 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
I appreciate all of the responses on this. I am building this car like no other that I have built before. I wanted it to be a built in Nav system. I haven't really seen any of the after market navs that I like, as far as looks. For functionality the one I like best is the Garmin Nuvi, but hardly something that would look good built into a $150,000 1937 Cadillac.
I am really not familiar with any other of the after market navs and have not heard anyone raving about how well they work. I got a deal on this GM nav. Only paid $725 for it, brand new, never installed and complete with disc and antenna still in the package. I thought it would be worth a try. I still can't grasp the idea that the unit does not power on with a hot wire.
I have read information on other sites that says it will power on but will not have voice and audio without the Lan data and a Bose system you speak of. I don't really know why they have to make things so complicated nowadays. What purpose does it serve other than to make it impossible to use it unless it comes from the factory.
I understand what you are saying, but this really frustrates me. I have looked at after market units for close to two years now and haven't found one that would compliment the car like this one would. If anyone has a good suggestion on a really good unit that works and can be built in I would appreciate it. The owner of the car doesn't have a clue as to what the car should be so I am kind of on my own for ideas.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

I install GM navs for a large expiditor on the east coast and am very familiar with the units. The hurdles involved in this install are just too great to overcome i'm afraid. The unit uses data from the cars body control module to know when to turn on and off instead of a standard power wire. After that, the unit needs to see a code that is car specific that the BCM holds and sends thru data. Say you had a new Tahoe and wanted to add that nav to it. After you plugged it in it would theftlock and would have to be unlocked using a Tech2 and Candi module to make it just turn on, after that it would need to see that code every time it turns on. If you could somehow overcome that(and i don't see how), you still have the problem of needing a Bose amp to turn audio signal into wattage.

Understand it's not just the radio that works in this way in new GM products, practically the entire car does from lights to wipers to Passkey, etc....

If you are stuck on using a factory nav you could go with the Ford unit which is stand alone and will work easily as you want(with the exception of some like the new Edge and Escape, which are data like the GM units). The downside is they aren't very sofisticated units.

There are a ton of very high tech aftermarket units, Pioneers AvicZ series navs. I like the new Eclipse AVN 52D, an easy to operate unit with a very large screen like the Avics. You will also find the aftermarket units much easier to install also....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic