icon

how to pick an installer?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Slammed01 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well I've had 2 prior bad installs (refer to my recent post!)! Foglights when on/off with the door and the domelights didn't work when disarmed and u could open the door without triggering the alarm. Looking to get a Viper 5900 or Clifford 50.5. Found a local dealer off dei's website and just wanted to know what to ask. I asked how they connect and they said solder/t-taps. Also asked if it would be hidden under the dash but wires visible if u looked under. They said they put it up as far as the dash as possible and lifetime warranty on labor and alarm. He told me to check out the website www.kartunz.com and also recommended a backup battery also. $650 for the alarm..........not bad.. I got a quote of $799 and 1 year labor warranty using all t-taps. Thx guys!
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Those are some good pictures of some cool cars..... I should put em on my web site. (those pictures mean ZERO)

You want/need to see pics of THEIR work, not of some fancy Euro rides. A websit is like an add in the phone book. GO SEE them. Talk to the installer, tell your story, let them know of YOUR expectations.

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
you dont happen to live around Albany do you? If so, come see me and I'll make sure it is done to your expectations. I use 100% solder, run all wires along factory wiring, and hide the units as best as possible. Believe it or not, I have had 2 dealerships tell me that my install was one of the best they've seen. I also believe I have pictures of a r/s install if you want to take a look. If you are nowhere near the albany area, then please disregard.. lol
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

This cat's a LONG drive from Albany N.Y.    Colifonia (my impression of Arnold)

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
oh, nvmd then.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
To pick an installer you have to ask people you know who they would bring their car to and trust to do a good job. Get a few different peoples choices and then do a small amount of research. How long in business is always a good question, a short time means they are just starting out and possibly a risky choice. A longer time like 4 years isn't too bad but 7 + years shows they have been around and are less likely to go anywhere. I think the word of mouth is better because when I started my business that was all the advertising that I had.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Posted: November 15, 2007 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
I am kind of with techman93 here but the length of time the shop has been in business is not always a good indicator. For example a few years ago a local shop opened up and offered all of the decent installers at a well established shop better money and benefits as well as a say in how the business should be run. Even though the shop has been open for only a few years the collective installation experience in their shop is the true factor that matters.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Listen if its Southern California, I'll go as a mobile, its 28f right now and I've already refused one install (open air) this afternoon. I'm supposed to be in Scotland one day next week and I said please book my return flight to Morocco. Soldered joints, hidden install, battery back-up thrown in and no t--tapshow to pick an installer? -- posted image.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
"You get what you paid for."
Thats pretty often true but it is best to always remind the installer to do well on your car for the amt you paid for. Everyone needs a reminder to take him out of his comfort zone. NOT sure if you udnerstand what I am saying but thats how I deal w/ ppl. Gotta pressure him b4 the job is done and NOT after.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Slammed01 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I only have 2 friends got theres installed @ circuit city and Goodguys I dont trust them. Goodguys isnt even around anymore! Another got his installed and they want $800 and its only a 1 year warranty for that money it should be lifetime! I made it clear to the last installer who installed a unit and I found the brain hanging under my dash by my brake pedal and door triggers werent even hooked up! LOL.....If ppl can trust kartunz with there luxury cars I have more faith. They have some clean stereo installs and that was the only shop to recommend a backup battery........
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic