what differs sql and spl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ice32 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hey,
I'm just curious as to what specs on certain items define weather your going for a SPL setup or a SQL setup
like what should people look out for when buying gear they want for SQL?
Thanks
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
What's SQL?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
I always thought of SQL as a mix between SQ and SPL type woofers.
AKA - a versatile woofer
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
What's SQL?
or SQ sound quality
donpisto 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
SPL is primarily for burping. Burping is used to play a sine wave for a quick few seconds to see how loud you are on the meter (usually the Term Lab). Although, SPL daily driver systems are ones that are loud and I dont mean to the ear but on the meter. As far as how loud, well, some people consider 140 on music loud, others 145, others 150 and above. Plain and simple SPL setups aren't meant to sound good or clean, rather just to get loud. SQL is getting loud or fairly loud while maintaining clean and crisp bass. It is more musical than an SPL system.
ice32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
ok, so what specs on gear define the 2?
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  
I will try my best to clarify and if I miss anything guys chime in. Difference with spl(sound pressure level) and sql (sound quality level) is mostly system design. Lets start with spl. SPL mainly deals with subs b/c low frequencies produce the most sound pressure. You need lots of power to get high SPL. So you may need multiple batteries and/or multiple and/or high output alternators to supply the power and lots of wire to carry it. As far as the head unit is concerned you may need one with high voltage output on the rca's, and a good sampling rate(?) to help combat skipping caused by vibrations unless u isolate outside the vehicle. Speaking of vibrations you MAY have to go to such extremes as concrete for sound damping again depending on your goals, sanctioning body etc. Your amps ideally should have a high voltage rating or high current and be class D again b/c of efficiency. Subs are really the only major concern and should be matched with the amps (as all speakers should be) and a properly designed enclosure(s) with port tuned to the resonant frequency of the vehicle to maximize SPL. Now granted it will not be "musical" but hey all you want is pressure. Now sound quality is another beast all together. I left out level because sound quality is like beauty, its subjective but most have a general consensus on what sounds good. Sound pressure is measured scientifically with no ifs ands or buts about it. Now sound quality u may or may not have to upgrade alternators depending on your class if you compete. It also doesnt have to a large complicated system. Some of the best systems have the fewest speakers. Now with sound quality (man, what did i get myself into) is really complicated. U still need high voltage output for a good clean signal but a lot more comes into play like the quality of a/d converters and such. Almost all the specs, THD and frequency reproduction range, etc. come into play. Not to mention now u have to use a/b class amps for the midrange/tweeters (unless you can find tubes). Also speakers need to be sensitivity matched, crossedover at the right point, positioned for stage height, depth, time aligned, etc. And a bunch of other stuff. Then u gotta consider matching subwoofer size and wattage with the other speakers so u can have a perfect frequency balance. A sealed enclosure is ideal for woofer control. Way too much to list. But for a decent everyday non competition system I say get quality equipment, a five channel amp with 300 watts for the sub and 200watts split between the other four speakers and your good. Sorry I cant get in more depth but its 3:30A where I am and I'm sleepy. Sorry for any omissions or mistakes. Help guys.
Pure Noize
djdowdell 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
p.s. dont be discouraged by my ranting...sql is pretty satisfying if you like a challenge and still wanna drive your car everyday!what differs sql and spl -- posted image.
Pure Noize
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
^^^^^^^
Sorry, but how about a paragraph.....
djdowdell 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  

chucksnee wrote:
^^^^^^^
Sorry, but how about a paragraph.....

My bad its 3:40A. That does look bad.lol!

Pure Noize
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic