Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ben_979 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Manual Transmission
The CM3000 was installed professionally and has been working flawlessly for about 2 years.
Last week, the lights in the vehicle were left on and the battery was completely drained. The vehicle was boosted to get it started, and since then, the remote start feature has not functioned. I haven't noticed problems with any other functions.
The behavior is as follows:
I set the vehicle in reservation mode (this procedure appears to work as normal and the alarm sets). When I press button 2 to remote start the vehicle(2W8000FMR remote) the system responds with a beep (which is correct). The vehicle seems to go into the pre-start procedure (accessories come on, etc), but the starter does not engage (it doesn't even try to engage). I have waited at this point for about 30 seconds and nothing changes (accessories remain on, and the vehicle doesn't start).
I have done some research, and I have done the following:
-ensured that the vehicle is not in valet mode
-reset the remote
-started the vehicle and pressed the button on the 'brain' module to 'learn' the tachometer
Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I am not an installer, just a 'user'.
Thanks in advance.
dcman41 
Copper - Posts: 211
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
the fuse couldve popped when you had your car boosted. There should be two 30 amp fuses on the harness under the dash. The colors are Red+ RED / White
ben_979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the extremely quick reply!
I have located the fuses and they appeared to be intact. I replaced them with new ones just in case, but the problem persists.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated!
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

well my thoughts would be this, it isnt tach or valet becuse it seams to go through the process of remote starting but just doesnt start.

it does power up the accessorie wire so that should be fine, so either there is something with the ignition wire or the starter wire. but you said it was working fine up until you jump started your truck. i dont think that a wire would become disconected at that exact moment so i would think that maybe the jump damaged something on the brain. but that is just a guess.

when it fails to start does the remote know? or does it think that the truck is still running? maybe its something with the pre-wired starter kill relay?

well i know that i didnt realy answer your questions but these are my thoughts, hopefully someone will be able to help you out a little better.

Jonathan

ben_979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your ideas, they are appreciated.
After trying it a few times, this is what happens after I push the remote start button:
The unit gives a single beep in confirmation (normal).
The accessories come on (normal).
There is no sound from the starter (not normal :-) )
The alarm indicator light on the dashboard stays on (steady) (not normal).
At this point, I cannot disarm it with the normal procedure (button 1 for arm/disarm on the remote). I have to press button 2 (the normal procedure to turn the vehicle off after it has been remote started) and only then can I use button 1 to disarm the system.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

Call Compustar tech support.

www.compustar.com

dmielken 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Strange problem. Seems as if the unit is not disarming on remote start. This could be a problem if your unit has the pre-wired starter kill relays installed, because it breaks the starter wire when armed. However, a simple test would be to disarm the alarm prior to attempting to remote start.
Press button 1 to unlock/disarm and confirm that the LED goes out/stops blinking. Then atttempt to remote start the vehicle. If it DOES start, you'll know the vehicle is not disarming on startup sequence. If it DOES not start, it would be safe to assume that damage may have occured to the brain itself.
All other options exhausted, I would take-up KarTune's suggestion and call their Technical Support Line.
moonliter 
Copper - Posts: 322
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
I would check the car battery (properly charge), connections at battery. Check the ground and +12v feed connections for the brain. Rule out all those simple and silly stuffs. 
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

can u still arm and disarm the car. if u cant start ur tach might have been erased. reprogram tach that might work

ben_979 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Again, thanks for the suggestions.
I placed the vehicle in reservation mode.
I disarmed the alarm using button 1 on the remote.
The alarm disarmed.
I pressed button 2 to remote start the vehicle.
The vehicle did NOT start.
I checked the car battery, it seems fine (charged, clean connections, etc).
As far as checking connections to the brain, I'm not sure what to check. I have checked the fuses, etc, and as I said, all other functions seem to be working.
I started the vehicle and learned the tach (the system replied with a single beep, which according to the documentation is correct).
I will pursue this with the installer and Compu-Star, and I will let you all know what I find. All of your help has been greatly appreciated.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic