the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

is it ok to run 4g wire along the frame?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hardwarz 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

I can't find a good place to drill into the firewall of my 99 Chevy Tahoe 4 door 4x4.

I've realized that I would have a lot better luck running the power from the battery into a fuse holder, then down along the frame (strapping it to the frame and also covering the wire in split flex loom) and then bring it up into the cab from under the vehicle.  I have a Street Wire firewall bushing that I would use to seal the cable into the hole.

Is there a reason I couldn't/shouldn't do this?

Hardwarz

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2007 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
You could do that, BUT there is lots of room on the firewall to drill through above the gas pedal.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I never recommend this as there are just too many ways that power wire can be damaged running outside a vehicle.  Go through the firewall.
Support the12volt.com
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
Somebody in another thread was talking about running his wire under the car through some conduit. I have done some older cars where we have run the power wire inside the frame. You really should not have a problem running the wire through the firewall.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Pull the plastic coolant tank on the rear passenger side under the hood. There is a factory grommet behind it that should give you access.
There is no such thing as free installation!
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
  thereis plenty of room on the firewall of a tahoe ...run power wire on same side as battery....to keep the power wire  length down
hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Pull the plastic coolant tank on the rear passenger side under the hood. There is a factory grommet behind it that should give you access.

Thanks, I'll look there tonight.

boogeyman wrote:
  thereis plenty of room on the firewall of a tahoe ...run power wire on same side as battery....to keep the power wire  length down

I'm running dual batteries and running the power for the audio from the driver's side battery.  Maybe that's why i'm having a hard time finding a place?

Hardwarz

standbackimapro 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Ive done this before, on My mercury mountaineer, sure theres places to drill.. but i just didnt want to .. so i ran it underneath, then up through a rubber drain plug grommet and it actually came right out about 6 inches from where the amp would be
hardwarz 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:

I removed the coolant tank and didn't find the factory grommet, only the factory Molex plug.  4g isn't going to fit through there.

So, I'm either going to drill through the firewall, below and to the right (as facing the firewall from the front of the car) of the brake booster.  I'm just afraid that this will be too low on the firewall.

Hardwarz

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2007 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
If you have access to drill, go for it. Pull back the carpet on the other side and see what is goin on back there. Make sure you have clearance and then drill a small pilot hole and see where it is from the other side.
Where does the antenna cable go into the car on that year model? I'm pretty sure I've gotten in behind the washer fluid reservoir as well. Maybe I drilled - look on the inside of the car and find that grommet we are talking about, if you cant use it to pass the wire just use it as a reference point to determine where to drill.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic